Sunday 14 April 2019

" ZODIAC WARRIORS "

With the first five now cast, it was time to get some paint on the models, I wanted to have natural colour schemes to the animals, so I used the colours from the reference pictures I sculpted from as these would be the best representations.
CHINESE GOLDEN MONKEY

From the reference picture you can see there is a lot of different colours in this animal

and here is my representation

RED ROOSTER

There is a lot of colour in the reference picture including iridescent feathers in the tail

and this is what I came up with


GOAT

Even though the reference picture shows a lot of cream, there is subtle tones in areas

hopefully I've managed to capture the subtlety

SNAKE

In the reference picture you will notice black markings down the spine

on the model they didn't show well so I left them off in the end

DRAGON

No reference picture on this one as it is a fantastical creature, so the colours were down to me, I went for a triad colour scheme, blue being the central colour, with red shading, and yellow high which I put as the base colour for his fur crest
Have started all the remaining models and will show them once their a little further along, until next time have fun !
Cheers Dave

24 comments:

  1. Wow! Just wow, Dave, those are outstanding minis and corking paint-jobs to boot. I think the goat is my fave, despite not being the most colourful, but they're all awesome! Absolutely awesome :-)
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon, has been a fun project, and will hopefully have the last six finished soon, as one of those will be in the first wave, the horse
      Delete
  2. These are all awesome I really like the rooster. By far my favourite of the bunch. They are really cool looking figures and paintjobs.
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon, my favourite is the monkey as that is my Chinese Zodiac symbol, which probably explains a lot about me
      Delete
  3. Dave, these are brilliant. Will definitely get myself a rooster at some point in the future.
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roy, I can imagine a lot of people getting their year, then we have others who seem to want the whole set, would love to know what they have planned for them !
      Delete
  4. Those are all brilliant Dave, think I like the goat best, I have no idea what animal is for my year though.

    Cheers Roger.
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roger, I was pleased with how he turned out. What year were you born ?
      Delete
    2. Oh a lady never tells! so I will 1969. That will probably make me a Pig or something, some say I already am!

      Cheers Roger.
    3. Actually makes you a Rooster Roger if you were born after the 5 th of February if before you would be a Monkey
      Delete
    4. A Monkey then, somehow it doesn't surprise me! :-)

      Cheers Roger.
    5. Same as me Roger as I was born in 68
      Delete
  5. wowsers Dave, these are amazing!
    I'm year of the Ox, can't wait to see what you do
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andy, Busy blocking out the Ox at the moment as he's the big equivalent to the Dragon on the herbivore side, as there is six herbivores and six predators if anyone want's to split them into sides
      Delete
  6. Absolutely amazing paint jobs on all of these splendid figures. I was born in the year of the rooster and I love how you've painted your rooster. Very colourful!
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bryan, it's such a beautiful colour scheme I'm glad I could do it justice
      Delete
  7. Excellent Dave, I tend to agree the goat is my favourite even though it's the plainest, although they are all good. The dragon also stands out, I don't think I've ever seen one carrying a sword before, so outstanding imagination there.
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you John, I've tried to mix the zodiac animals with ancient Chinese armour and weapons but have a couple of pure fantasy weapons coming up as well
      Delete
  8. Remarkably cool concept, figures and painting, Dave. I can imagine these will sell like hot cakes. Can't decide which one's my favourite yet - I think I'll wait until all 12 are done before I make a decision, but I'm sure I'll be buying a good handful.
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jez, it took a while to come up with some oriental figures, but very happy with the direction I went in the end. Should have some WIP shots of the other 7 soon.
      Delete
  9. Outstanding my friend, the Goat is definitely my favourite, but all are great fun.
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael, pleased with how they've all turned out so far, hope can do the same with the rest
      Delete
  10. Really liking how these have turned out Dave. The Goat and Monkey especially.
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dai, great reference material is always a good start
      Delete

No comments:

Post a Comment