Sunday 14 April 2019

" JUST WHEN YOU THOUGHT IT WAS SAFE TO GO BACK TO THE BLOG "

Since Salute I've been trying to clear a few old projects, I've finished a bear for " Heroes of the Dark Ages" and almost finished their second Sabretooth model as well.

For my company I've almost finished a 28 mm scale Megladon, just need to finish two small fins and then make the rock he will be displayed upon

Last up this week is Step 3 for the plane build :

First put a layer of green where the cockpit glass will be and leave to dry, once fully dry ( 24 hours ) shave smooth with a sharp scalpel, then use 260 production paper to shape and 1000 production paper to get a really smooth finish.
You'll read a lot of people say you can't sand greenstuff, this is not true if you use the right tools, and work in the direction of the grain ( the direction you smoothed the green in )

That's it for this week, so until next time have fun !
Cheers Dave

12 comments:

  1. All really nice stuff as usual Dave. I love that shark! that's another on the list (if it is 28mm scale?), also do you have a picture of the sabretooth as I'm after a couple of big (almost horse sized in 28mm)Tigers and haven't seen exactly what I want anywhere yet.

    I've never tried sanding greenstuff myself, but I read somewhere a while back that you can polish it with toothpaste and a toothbrush, don't know if this works but I thought it was interesting.

    Cheers Roger.
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roger, the shark would be equivalent to a 40 foot Meg in 28 mm scale, which is apparently quite small as they have found teeth that would equate to a 60 feet. will take some pictures of the sabretooth as soon as he's finished for you.
      have heard of the polishing, and can do the same with jewellers paste
      Delete
  2. Nice additions. Love that Shark. The plane is coming along nicely indeed. I will have to remember about the GS I have a project coming up where I will need to use some and haven't done so before. I rely on being able to file stuff down when using milliput.
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon, yes milliput is great for filing and grinding, with green just make sure you have something solid to work with
      Delete
  3. As soon as I saw the shine reflecting from the cockpit, I was preparing to ask how you got it so smooth - many thanks for the tech tip Dave :-)
    Excellent work on both the bear and the shark!
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Greg, and glad you found the tip useful, and feel free to ask any questions as I show any of the stages
      Delete
  4. Nice to see the shark almost finished, as it was just a carvass when I last saw it and also nice to see what other projects are on the workbench.
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jez, thought you would appreciate seeing the shark a lot further on
      Delete
  5. Excellent work on all three sculpts, Dave. Just how big is that bear?
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bryan, the bear is 70 mm in length, and has a shoulder height of 45 mm. The client wanted it this size so he can have a rider fitted at a later date
      Delete
  6. Planes, sharks, and bears, OH MY!
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anonymus, I do like to mix things up and not just stick to one thing
      Delete

No comments:

Post a Comment