Sunday 14 April 2019

"WHERE DOES THE TIME GO "

This weekend I spent a great two days at PAW 2018, I got to enjoy the company of Andy ( Da Gobbo) and his daughter, chat to lots of interesting people, run loads of demo games of DM, and generally enjoy some of the best elements of this glorious hobby has to offer !
" A DARK CLOUD "
Unfortunately there was also an element we could do without in our community, my good friend John at Gydran Miniatures had a stock box and a load of his bases from his display stolen, He lost over £400 of stock, this put a real dampener on the whole weekend. If any one is offered Gydran models cheap please contact John at www.gydran.com
" HOBBY TIME "
since Xmas this seems to have almost dried up completely with so much work to do, we now have the rules but there is still a lot of work to do on them before being ready, on top of all the normal casting and figure creation. With this in mind the skirmish game will probably not be ready for Salute, so rather than releasing an unfinished product, we will be putting back the release date and will keep you all informed as to when it is.
So what have I actually managed to get done for my hobby ? First up is two new droids, an R3 unit and a Death Star Droid
I've also managed to finish the three probe droids that come in the core box set

Then I was bad and did more work on my X-Wing than I'd completed old models of
As you can see I've started painting it adding lots of weathering and battle chipping, still a long way to go, but enjoying it so far. Then I was really bad and made and started painting my second new model a TIE fighter
Originally when I asked for these kits I'd planned to turn them into crashed fighters to use as scenery, but my in-laws were very generous and bought me the deluxe kits, hobby level 5 so decided to make them into landed complete craft.
Well that's all for now as I have another 2 shows over the next two weekends so don't know how often I will be able to post between, so until next time have fun !

14 comments:

  1. Great to know you're doing well, Dave, albeit being naughty with that Tie Fighter ;-) I've not heard of "Gydran Miniatures" before, so I'm sure John will appreciate your publicity even if it is for such dire reasons :-( I always enjoy seeing what you're up to so please keep the posts coming, and good to see a couple more droids getting a lick of paint :-)
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, you've got to have a little naughty every so often ! LOL
      Gydran make a great range of effectively space dwarves, so any bit I can do to help.
      Will try to keep posting as much as time allows, would like to paint some of these robots for variation and would like to make a K2 when I find the time
      Delete
  2. Glad you had a good time at PAW, even with the unfortunate loss of a colleague's stock.

    And nice to see some more SW on the painting table. I'm guessing that the starship models are pretty much in scale with your figures.
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank's Jez, woul have been an excellent weekend without the taint.
      The two models are 1:48 scale so are an almost perfect scale for true 28 mm which Imperial Assault is pretty close to. This also means with a bit of conversion work I can add some pilot models to my games as well
      Delete
  3. Some top notch eye candy on display here Dave - definitely "sugar" for the bitter pill of reporting the stock theft, here's hoping that Karma swings into action and the lowlife responsible gets their just reward!

    Shame about missing the Salute deadline, but you're obviously making the RIGHT decision to only release the game when it's ready - in the meantime, I shall look forward to following progress, and seeing more 'naughty' posts :-)
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Greg, always good to have some sweet with sour ! Let's hope Karma finds them before the rest of us do ! LOL
      Would love to have it by Salute, but won't release it until it's 100% ready, will continue on making the models and showing them on here, and there may well be some more naughty post's in the future ! ;)
      Delete
  4. Nice work on the figures but these fighter kits look fab!
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon, have always found vehicles daunting, but with some recent experimentation on painting larger surface areas have found a style that I like
      Delete
    2. Glad I am not the only one who feel that way. I love Post Apoc vehicles as they are that little bit more forgiving. I am trying to do a Gi joe proxie vehicle at the moment and am stuck highlighting it. It will get done eventually.
    3. That's very true Simon, post apoc allows a lot of latitude for effective painting, does the vehicle have curved surfaces or flat ? Both offer their own unique problems I find. Curved is getting the balance of light and dark following the curves, and flat surfaces can look odd with the GW edge highlighting. weathering surfaces can cover a lot of the problem. Is it on your blog Simon and have you got a link ?
      Delete
  5. Lovely figures, these spaceships are just superb!
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil, would still like to do some crashed versions at some point but will need to find some less detailed models to break apart ! LOL
      Delete
  6. Was a great weekend Dave and lovely to meet up again. DM was great fun and was just so cool to see all the models in the flesh as it were. Awful about John’s stock, a devastating loss especially for a small firm. What is worse is the loss of trust in the community! I had left my iPad, phone and wallet on the tables content in the fact that Wargamers are inherently a decent bunch!

    The droids look amazing btw.
    Reply
    Replies
    1. It was a great weekend mate, and enjoyed spending time with you and your daughter, your table was amazing and well deserving of picking up the trophy. Incident's like the weekend break down what is essentially a great community.
      Glad you had fun on DM and got to see past my terrible photography ! LOL
      Like with your dead bodies on your board, I would like to have enough droids to populate a 6' x 4' board so a lot more to go yet
      Delete

No comments:

Post a Comment