Sunday 14 April 2019

" MEDIEVAL TIMES OR BUST "

On my recent holiday the family and I went to Medieval Times, for a medieval banquet and show, this is the third time we've been there, and every time the show has been different. Because of my wheelchair we always sit in the green knight section, the section you sit in decides which knight you cheer for.
Before entering the seating they have a bar and shop, each time we've been I've spent a lot of time perusing the shop,and have picked up something each time. The first year I picked up a Succubus model (still need to paint that, the second year a T shirt, and this year a dragon bust.

The picture above shows the bust after my repaint, now you may be thinking " why repaint the model ! " well the picture below will show you why.

I went for a triad of colours scheme for the red, using blue as shade colour and yellow for a highlight in certain areas, it also has four shades of red inbetween, and a red glaze over the top, to help the blending. The base colour was Vallejo black red, then a wash of GW Drakenhof nightshade in shadow areas, a layer of Vallejo Burnt red, a layer of Vallejo red, a highlight of Vallejo Bloody red, a glaze of GW Yriel yellow, and a all over glaze of GW Bloodletter glaze.
The horns started with a basecoat of GW Mournfang brown, a wash of GW Agrax earthshade, then GW XV-88, a glaze of Vallejo bronze fleshtone, and a final glaze of Vallejo bone white
The base had a simple coat of GW Runefang steel, then a wash of GW Nuln oil.
While on the subject of busts I've been slowly working on my commisar bust, I've only picked it up when in the mood, so progress has been slow, but feel I'm heading in the right direction.

That's it for this post so until next time have fun !
Cheers Dave

12 comments:

  1. Outstanding paint jobs on both models, Dave.
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bryan, still got more to do on the commisar but like how far I've got with it so far
      Delete
  2. You've certainly improved on the original, which to be honest wasn't so bad, but you have made a lovely job of the eyes, they are tremendous.
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you John, the original was worse in hand the picture smoothed out some of the colours. Forgot to photograph the original before I started on the eyes and mouth ! LOL They were the worst two parts
      Delete
  3. Lovely work and a great improvement over the shop bought original, your own bust is coming on a treat too!

    Cheers Roger.
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roger, both have presented interesting opportunities to try new techniques and colours, and working at a larger scale has it's advantages ! LOL
      Delete
  4. Cracking repaint mate. Love it!
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon, enjoyed doing it
      Delete
  5. Repaint looks far better.

    Commissar though - wow!
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dai, larger scale models have really given me a chance to push my techniques and colour choices
      Delete
  6. Dragon bust looks fantastic. Not that the Commissar doesn't look pretty bloody impressive as is, but I'll hold off on too much praise until you post it up completed. ;)
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate, was pleased with how the dragon turned out, and no problem on the commisar as I only do a little when in the mood
      Delete

No comments:

Post a Comment