Sunday 14 April 2019

" THE FORCE WAS STRONG "

This weekend the plan was to, blitz through as much of my Forgotten Heroes project as possible, but the stars aligned with a different plan for me.
On Friday Sarah the children and myself went to the UK games expo in Birmingham, primarily as a scouting mission as we have been invited by the event to attend as a trader.
The children had a great time and even got to be vikings for a little while, the people running the stand seem to have a death wish giving under 10's wooden poles to represent swords, and allowing them to wail away on them, would suggest they would be safer with some LARP swords, would certainly cut back on the bruises.
While we wandered around the stalls I spotted some loose star wars figures that were perfect size for Imperial Assault, and would speed things up with making the denizens of Jabba's Palace

I also found three of the patrons of the cantina  as well

These will all need painting later, but not a high priority as they are already in colour, I might even do some small conversions on some.
After returning home I set about my first post for Forgotten Heroes, and prepared for everything A.B.C. Warriors.
Saturday morning however brought a wonderful surprise from Michael Awdry who had sent me a Han Solo frozen in carbonite, Jabba's most favourite decoration and his palace wouldn't be complete without one. Not only did Michael make this for me, but he painted it to, so another massive THANK YOU ! really put a smile on my face. Just need to pull my finger out and make the palace throne room.

Spurred on by this I have finished 3 members of the band, and on the final details of Max

Have also made the frames for the other 4 band members, the second drummer and three back up singers, once these are all finished will start on other members of the court, does this mean I didn't do much on my A.B.C. Warriors, NO their progressing well and will post an update later in the week dedicated just to them.
Until next time have fun !
Cheers Dave

19 comments:

  1. Bargain find at the expo! Stunning gift from the good gentleman Michael!
    The 3 band members look marvellous as well really like the third one I am sure I had a couple of him as a kid.
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon, was very happy with the find, even more with Michaels gift. There was five Weequays that I could find through Internet searching and may have been more that I couldn't find pictures for
      Delete
  2. My word Dave, this is outstanding progress! I don't suppose you remember who was doing those loose Star Wars figures do you? Now as for those new band members - wow! So pleased you liked Han, will try and do a post about it tomorrow.
    Reply
    Replies
    1. www.tritex-games.co.uk was the company Michael hoping they might have some more of Jabba's denizens on line. Glad you liked the band members, shall look forward to your post
      Delete
    2. Well this could prove costly as they've got lots of cool ones! They even have a 4-LOM in there in fact 3 different versions, know where my hobby budget will be going for a while! LOL
      Delete
    3. You and me both! :) They have some wonderful characters, but just how close are they to the Imperial Assault miniatures?
    4. The base is the same size for an idea of scale, and height wise they are almost perfect
      Delete
    5. Oh that's not good news! Just been looking at them on the site again and now thinking about raiding my piggy bank when I get home from work! What's the plastic like? You obviously feel that it would take paint well.
    6. The plastic is a little softer than IA figures, but a lot of the weapons I'm planning on removing anyrate. The models take paint fine, just tried a wash and a glaze, which are the hardest to do if the paint underneath causes a reaction with no problems
      Delete
    7. Thank you Dave, I had better start counting those pennies! :)
  3. A nice haul of figures you picked up there, Dave. It sounds like you and your family had a great day out.
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bryan, yes we had a good time, now just looking at how much work we need to do if we're going to attend next year
      Delete
  4. Ah, Tritex Games...always one of my port of calls when attending Salute, as rhey usually have a vast range of both D&D singles and Star Wars singles available, as well as some other loose figures. Tend to be cheaper at shows than online, I've noticed, but for convenience, online shopping can't be beaten.

    I sed you're busy beavering away, Dave. Good on you.
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jez, They have a good range of models, I found the reverse on the costs, the models I bought at the show are actually cheaper on line, I would have saved myself a £ after paying postage ! Having not been on their site before I was unaware in the difference in cost but now know for the future
      Delete
  5. A lovely gift from Mr Awdry. Some crackers there Dave
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andy, the gift made my weekend to be honest ! Hoping the back up singers really hit the mark when I get them done
      Delete
  6. Some nice stuff there Dave, I hit the tritex stall at Salute a few years back, and came away with a few D&D figures, Star Wars is something I'm really trying to stay away from as if I got into it, it would easily become a money pit!

    Great gift from Michael too, love that!

    What did you think of the show? my eldest went on Saturday (as it's only about 30mins from where he lives now) but haven't spoken to him since, was there much wargames stuff there? or is it mainly boardgames etc.. We got invited a few years back with WSD but I decided we wouldn't make enough to make it worth while back then as only GZG seemed to go from the wargames side.

    If it's any good might go next year and visit Myles at the same time.

    Cheers Roger.
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roger, can fully understand on how much of a money pit Star Wars can be as most of my hobby purchases are for it. Michael's gift was wonderful.
      There's a good mix of board games and wargames and some more bespoke stalls as well, so hoping to have a stall there next year
      Delete

No comments:

Post a Comment