Sunday 14 April 2019

" SHIMMER & SHINE "

Hope your all ready for the festivities and not too much running around at the last minute, leaving yourself time to sit back and enjoy yourself. Thought I would post up my latest post before the big day as who has time to look once the celebration begins ! LOL


Today's article I want to cover painting iridescent armour, the example shown above was painted by my friend Tim Marsh who is a competition painter, Tim sent me an explanation on how he painted this, but I've been looking for a quicker method, so this is what I've come up with :
Step 1  undercoat the model in silver

Step 2  cover all the armour plates in black wash

Step 3  Now add a deep shadow colour, as I'm doing a green armour I've used purple wash


Step 4 Mid tone colour is now added above the shadow and I've used blue wash
No photo sorry the gremlins ate it !

Step 5  Then for the high's I've used yellow wash ( Think where the light would hit the model)


Step 6 Cover all the armour plates in iridescent paint, I've used Citadel Waystone Green, if your happy at this point with the result your finished on the armour, if you want to add more detail follow the following steps.


Step 7 Apply some neat silver on the high colours but don't go completely to the edge of your original highs
Gremlins were hungry again !
Step 8 Apply yellow wash over the silver paint


Step 9 Repeat step 6


The armour plates are now done, but you can go in and tweak areas as much as you want to get your desired effect.
Below are some examples of different colour schemes you can try depending on your preference





As you can see I've painted the sinew between the armour plates in different colours this was experimentation to see which I prefer, another tip if painting Exuvium paint the four arms separate as it can be quite difficult to get to certain areas if you stick them together first.
You can also use this method to paint armour as well just use silver as the highlight colour instead, as shown in the example below
Hope everyone has a very merry Xmas
Until next time HAVE FUN !
Cheers Dave   

10 comments:

  1. Splendid job, great mettalic colors...and Merry Christmas!
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank's Phil, and a very merry Xmas to you and your family
      Delete
  2. Great tutorial Dave, and I hope all at Stone Towers have VERY Merry Christmas!
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Greg, hope you and your family have a very merry Xmas too
      Delete
  3. Great tutorial Dave, the technique works really mate.
    Merry Christmas mate
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank's Andy, and a very Merry Xmas to you and your family mate
      Delete
  4. I really like that shimmering green effect, its given me (and Stevie) some great ideas for painting the rest of our Exuviums: and the silver armour on the Scabendi is amazing. A lovely blend of metalic and wash.
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hils I remembered Steve said he hadn't done his yet so thought it might be useful. The photo has washed out the armour as its a lot more blue in the hand
      Delete
  5. sweeeeet, you make it look so darn easy Dave *winks*

    hehe, love it ^^
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate, I think one of the biggest lessons I've learnt in painting was to be happy to experiment and not worry, you can always repaint it if it doesn't work. Plus with all the new paints that are being developed at the moment, the possibilities are endless

No comments:

Post a Comment