Sunday 14 April 2019

" A TASTE OF THE ORIENT "

Now I'm not talking about a portion of crispy chilli beef with fried rice, I'm on about a small range of Oriental figures.
The reasoning behind doing these is one of my display boards at shows is my Oriental scenery board, which currently doesn't have any figures to display on it, unlike my other two boards.
Now there is a lot of Japanese figures available from Bushido to Test of Honour and others, so I thought I would do some from China. The idea started after watching the wall, which had some great armour depicting different animals, so I thought what if I take it a stage further and do animals in Chinese armour. Then to tie the idea together I decided to do the animals from the Chinese Zodiac, I've got the first 5 started and once these are finished I'll do the remaining 7.
MONKEY

first up is the monkey based off the Chinese Golden Monkey, the weapon I've given him is the ball and chain with blade, as seen in the Golden Child staring Eddie Murphy.
SNAKE

This one is going to be armed with twin crescent blades, as I thought these would be the least encumbering on his movement.
GOAT

This one is going to be armed with a crescent spear.
COCKEREL

This one is having the twin hooked swords, a true fighting cock ! LOL
DRAGON

What Chinese Zodiac would be complete without a Dragon, he's armed with twin Dao blades, these swords were designed to fit in a single sheath to cover up the number of weapons carried.
That's it for today, don't know if I'll get chance to post again this week as I have a show at IPMS Thornbury on Sunday, so until next time have fun !
Cheers Dave 

23 comments:

  1. What a great idea, Dave. I do like your Dragon fighter best of all, but they all look good.
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bryan, it's funny where you can get ideas from, I've looked at Japanese style multiple times and just couldn't find a new approach, once I moved to Chinese which has had a lot less done for it, except historical, a whole new world opened up.
      The Dragon's my favourite to, with the monkey being a close second
      Delete
  2. Very cool, Dave. As I was born in the year of the Rooster, I think I may very well have to pick up the 'fighting cock', as he is pretty damn cool. However, will be keeping an eye on the rest of these figures too. I can imagine Andy might want that monkey...😉
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jez, sat working on the Cockerel at the moment, I'm year of the Monkey, which is probably why he's the most finished ! LOL
      Hoping to get the Tiger done at the same time as these 5, so I can release the first 6 then a second 6. I am looking forward to some of the second batch, but need to find an angle with the rat and rabbit that appeals
      Delete
    2. A dynamic rabbit armed with wind and fire wheels would be pretty cool. And a robed rat wielding a shaolin or monk's spade would be ideal, as I do need a leader for my Nezumi.
    3. I can imagine Andy wants the whole bloody lot Jez!!
      Damn you Stone!
    4. Great ideas Jez, and sorry Andy
      Delete
    5. And the Ox should have masdive armoured gauntlets, like "The Man with the Iron Fists" - which was actually a pretty fun movie.
    6. Have indeed seen that movie, and I hadn't decided on a weapon for the Ox yet
      Delete
  3. I'm a Rooster and Sagittarius, so I might have to have a go at doing an archer cockerel conversion once you've released the figures. Top stuff, and a really cool idea.
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roy, I might do more variations if they prove popular, really like the idea of an archer version, and look forward to seeing your conversion
      Delete
  4. These look really Cool. Could be fun to do a Kung Fu Panda game :)
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon, just going to be figures for the moment, plenty of rules systems out there, that people can utilise the models in it. I'm sure my kids would love a Kung Fu Panda game
      Delete
  5. What a brilliant idea! Looking great so far, but to be honest you had me at crispy chilli beef with fried rice! :)
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael, they should be fun, my favourite when we have Chinese
      Delete
  6. 😶 😶😶 totally speechless Dave.....
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Is that a good or bad thing mate ? LOL
      Delete
    2. Good for the wife I guess. Put me down for the whole set when you release them!
    3. No problem mate, will be in two waves, with a gap between the two, which will give you time to paint the first lot, inbetween all your shifts
      Delete
  7. What a super idea! these should prove very popular, and would be a great colourful painting project too,.

    Cheers Roger.
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roger, hope people will like them, and glad to have finally found some models to put on my board for shows
      Delete
  8. Oh well done Dave, genius!! Utter genius!! They look corking :-) Will they be out at the same time as your great big shark, or will I need to order them later ;-)
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon, glad you like them. The shark is already available in store, the oriental animals look like they'll be out in October if the poll I'm running on my Facebook page stays the same as I've got more votes for Grav Boarders in September at the moment
      Delete

No comments:

Post a Comment