Sunday 14 April 2019

" OH NO IT'S THE RANCOR "

When I first saw ROTJ the rancor was one of my favourite creatures, now in the Jabba's Realm expansion you get a fair size representation of the beast. For some reason I put the model together and that was as far as I got, obviously to easily distracted. So last night with the heat and unable to sleep I decided to rectify this.

First I painted the mouth with Vallejo Rosy Flesh, then a 50/50 mix of Rosy Flesh and Pale flesh, then I stippled pure Pale Flesh over the tongue, once dry I put red glaze all over to get the right tone.
Next I moved onto the body and did a basecoat of GW Mournfang Brown, once dry I drybrushed GW  XV-88 all over, I then did a directional drybrush of GW Balor Brown on the high ares that light would hit. For the face and joints I then did another drybrush this time with GW Zamesi Desert. Once these were all dry I added areas of darkness with GW Agrax Earthshade, once dry I then added green glaze to certain areas.

Last up was the claws and teeth, first I basecoated with GW Mournfang Brown, then the claws were given two coats of GW Agrax Earthshade, once dry the claws then had another coat of Mournfang Brown, Then the claws had a coat of GW XV-88 and finally a glaze of GW Ushabti Bone.
The eyes were a simple base of black, then a white dot on each eye.
THE BAND
Have now finished painting the second drummer as well, but still need to finish the drum kit.

Have also finished sculpting the last two back up singers as well.

So now moving on to the other denizens I've done the two dancers first as this seemed a natural progression first up is Oola and have also done Yarna d'al' Gargan.

Right I'm off to Bovington show, but will answer all comments as I can, will catch up on everyones blogs when I get back, so thank's for visiting and commenting and until next time have fun !
Cheers Dave

14 comments:

  1. I do like that Rancor beast. I have one made by Grenadier Miniatures for the old West End Games range of 25mm scale Star Wars figures. He's solid metal so you can imagine just how heavy he is. Yours looks more menacing but I still wouldn't swap mine.
    Reply
    Replies

    1. Thank you Bryan, he is a beast, I still have the Grenadier one as well, and the Jabba's Palace set as well. There probably worth a lot but won't sell them even though there a different scale to Imperial Assault
      Delete
  2. He’s a stonker mate! Fantastic model
    Reply
    Replies

    1. Thank you Andy, don't know why I put off painting him for so long
      Delete
  3. Wow he is a whopper! great model, and painting who doesn't love the Rancor!

    Interesting fact the same actress played Oola in both the original release of ROTJ and the updated (CGI) version, as the dancer who played the part hadn't changed much in the intervening years!

    Cheers Roger.
    Reply
    Replies

    1. Thank you Roger, he is a beast.
      I did know it was the same actress in both versions, all I can say is she is ageing very well
      Delete
    2. Better than the main cast membersat least ;-)

      Cheers Roger.
  4. Oh yes... that Rancor is one of your best yet, Dave, and that's saying something obviously. Great sculpting and a marvellous paint-job too. You're clearly well in the "Star Wars" groove currently :-)
    Reply
    Replies

    1. Thank you Simon, really enjoying this project at the moment as I hadn't done much for quite a while
      Delete
  5. That Rancor is brilliant! Really love it! The Drummer is excellent as well Dave.
    Reply
    Replies

    1. Thank you Simon, hope I can do as well on the rest of the band
      Delete
  6. Rancor looks ace! Did you know that it was supposed to just be a "baby"?

    All four dancers are spot on too. You must be having fun sculpting these!? (I met Oola at a local Con some years ago. 30-odd years on and she still looks the same!)
    Reply
    Replies

    1. Thank you Dai, do remember it was supposed to be a young one, but has since been the norm for any one putting one in.
      That must be great to have met here and she still looks stunning
      Delete

No comments:

Post a Comment