Sunday 14 April 2019

" FORGOTTEN HEROES PART ! "

Top row Mongrel,Hammerstein, Mad Ronn, Bottom Row, Blackblood, Hitaki, Joe Pinapples
So for the first time I've decided to join in forgotten heroes I thought this would be the perfect time for me to realise an idea I've had for many years to make all the incarnations of the Meknificant Seven. For any one who doesn't know who they are, they appeared in the comic 2000 ad as the A.B.C. Warriors, the first incarnation was just after the second Volgan war and seven robots were recruited to bring peace to mars, they included Hammerstien, Joe Pinapples, Happy Shrapnel, Mongrel, Deadlock, Blackblood, and Steelhorn who had become the mess ( a pool of liquid metal that could move and change shape at will)

Happy died on Mars and the Mess became part of a much larger robot called George and remained on Mars.
The second incarnation appeared in Nemesis the warlock book four the Gothic War, and had two new recruits Mad Ronn, and Hitaki, Nemesis replaced Deadlock as he explained they were one and the same, and they had Ro-Jaws and Purity Brown join their entourage.
Their third outing saw Nemesis send them into the black hole bypass, Mad Ronn was dead and was replaced by Mek Quake, Nemesis didn't go with them and Deadlock rejoined them, Hitaki was lost and replaced by Terri, a human who thought of herself as a robot, by the end of this adventure she was dead as humans are far more squishy than robots.

WE next saw the warriors go to the planet Hekate in the Khronicles of Khaos, here they recruited Morrigun a female robot, the team remained the same through Hellbringer, then in Third Element Morigunn died and the warriors recruited the reformed Steelhorn, (the planet spirit Medusa did this and made him her champion).
The team would remain the same through the next mission, The Shadow Warriors.
Through the next adventure The Volgan War, the warriors would leave Mek Quake at an asylum and go and recruit Zippo, while doing this Blackblood would betray the warriors and leave.
Through the next three adventures "Return to Earth" " Return to Mars" and "Return to Ro-Busters" they would recruit Tubal Caine, who was the resurrection of Happy Shrapnel.
This brings up to date of the Graphic Novels, which is where I'm reading it from.
So far I've made 4 frames to work from, and are from left to right Mad Ronn, Hitaki, Happy Shrapnel, and Morrigun, as you can see these are all going to be scratch built to get just the right look I'm looking for
Note the date and time in the background to show I'm not cheating ! LOL
Wherever possible I'm going to base the models on the art of Clint Langley, the models themselves are a head taller than a standard human model, the robots have been drawn in varying heights depending on the artist, Clint draws them this height and also has the robots at different heights so will be sticking with his rendition. I may do more before the end of the month all depends on time, so we will see, so until next time have fun Cheers Dave

26 comments:

  1. This is going to be awesome, Dave. Really looking forward to seeing you at your very best - enthused, inspiring and creative :-)
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon, Hope I can live up to that wonderful comment, no pressure now then ! LOL
      Delete
  2. Really excited about this Dave, it is going to be great to see the models come together over the month.
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael, it's amazing how many fans there are of the A.B.C. Warriors yet no company with a licence has released all the different variations, maybe one day I'll try again for a licence and do it myself ! LOL or just use Forgotten Heroes each year to chip awat at it ! LOL
      Delete
  3. You have my full and unreserved support in this endeavour, Dave. Right from their first appearance in 2000 AD I have been a massive fan of the ABC Warriors. I'm sure your sculpts will do them proud.
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bryan, they were one of my favourite along with Nemesis so when they combined the two I was in heaven
      Delete
  4. Best of luck with this Dave, I have re-posted it to the FH site.

    Roger.
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roger, and thank you for adding it to the site as well as, my impatient post ! LOL Can't seem to leave a comment on your blog at the moment for your latest post ?
      Delete
  5. Nope the comments seem to have gone up the spout at the moment!
    Reply
    Replies
    1. All this new code seem to have made a right mess for people, hope it gets sorted soon
      Delete
  6. Me too, sorry for the short comments but I never know if they are going to work or not, really looking forward to these (especially Happy, and Mad Ron, and of course Mongrol, if you get to him!).

    Cheers Roger.
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Fully understandable Roger, in this chaotic internet time, Mongrel will probably be after Forgotten Heroes, as there's about a months worth of work on him alone, but will see ! LOL
      Delete
  7. Oh hell yeah! I’m so looking forward to seeing this project come to fruition, I loved the ABC warriors! I remember Terri, the squishy human
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andy, glad to hear your looking forward to it, the long term plan is to do all the warriors and hangers on, so Terri and Purity Brown will be done at some point, even little Grobbendonk
      Delete
  8. Whilst I am aware of the characters, I wasn't a big reader of 2000AD...too many Marvel Comics to read I guess. However, I know this is a subject you're passionate about, so I'm looking forward to seeing your renditions of these characters.
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jez, yes the A.B.C. warriors and Nemesis are one of my many passions. In my childhood and even into adulthood, loved to read as many different comics as possible, Dark Horse and Marvel as well as 2000 ad and many smaller publications, the only one I wasn't massively enamoured with was DC but each to their own I say
      Delete
  9. Not always a great fan of comics, so I am far from an aficionado on comic books in general (though many of my friends, both on line and local, are). And yet nothing quite grabs me within this genre so much as 2000AD and the whole Judge Dredd and Cursed Earth thing. Hils is a bit different and knows the comic book days of yore a little better than me (having actually dated one of the artists at one stage, back in her youth). I actually did own the first ever 2000AD comic when it hit our village paper shop back when I was a boy (I still remember lying in bed and my Dad dropping the new much awaited copy on my bed spread, and my initial excited "yeeeey" as I cracked open those first tentative pages. Somehow or other I never followed on with the comic and it fell into `ancient history` for me, and only this past couple of years have reclaimed my childhood by collecting all the Judge Dredd graphic novels, volumes 1, 2, 3, 4.. and 5 and so on etc etc etc: playing catch up for all those missed years.

    Seeing you do A.B.C. Warriors and all those cool characters is a real nostalgic blast, and rather inspires me and my meagre JD gaming endeavours. I can`t wait to see what you produce here actually Dave, what ever it is I`m sure it will be very exciting and memorably atmospheric.
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Thank you Steve, In my youth I jumped from comic to comic for a while, until I settled on Action Comics with Hook Jaw, a very large great white shark, munching his way through the local populace ! When 2000 ad came out I moved over to that and stayed until Star Wars comic came out, I drifted away from comics all together in my late teens, and then came back in my mid twenty's and then moved later to just graphic novels of the stories I really liked, so can understand completely.
      Can see how me doing the warriors would inspire digging out your Judge Dredd, as there have been many crossovers in 2000 ad, and films as well. Hope my execution will inspire you
      Delete
    2. Interesting background to your comic-hood Dave mate. I always like reading about how others got into such and such, or discovered this or that faction of the hobby etc. There is a great book out there which really immerses you in nostalgic recollections of a bygone age of action figures, comic books and the pioneering days of the hobby: the book is "Achtung Shwenhunt" and I`d recommend it to anyone for a chuckle and a trip down memory lane.

      https://www.amazon.co.uk/Achtung-Schweinehund-Story-Imaginary-Combat/dp/0349115680/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1528020273&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=Achtung+Shwenhunt

      I remember we talked about doing Max and Dredd and a bit of Resident Evil Dave.. all combined into a cool hybrid game. You making the figures and me playing the games and doing the AAR`s (its still a cool idea actually haha). Ahhh what cool ideas spring into the minds of gamers, half of which never go anywhere, but its still fun planning.. right, even if these things never reach fruition :-))

      But yeah, its fair to say your ABC Warriors have struck a chord here, and inspired us to get gaming.
    3. Will check the book out Steve.
      Still the plan to do a post apocalyptic game, but need to finish the Traventi world game first, you may have seen we've done a lot of models for it so far, and will continue to release the models for both until the games are ready and then release them as well, just means when they're released there's a lot of figures and scenery all ready available
      Delete
  10. Meh, I`m still not sure I`d call a hundred or so Judge Dredd figures ```meagre``` Stevie. I`d say its just that you don't own many official figures for it is all, and all yours are custom, conversions or facsimile models.. cannibalised from other games and uses. Small by some standards I suppose, but plenty of lovely pieces to play the most substantial games, in fact I`ve seen you and the lads come round and play many a cool Dredd encounter on the table top amidst sci-fi terrain of "Hilary Block" and the "I Law" conglomerates hehe.

    Dave, you`ve really caught my imagination with your entry into FH this year. Can`t wait to see what your pieces turn out looking like. While were both simply not as active on the blogs anymore, I think this new project may well draw us back as we check regularly to see this cool project take shape.
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Never see a problem with what models people use to play their games Hils, just that they have fun is the main thing.
      Hope the project continues to inspire, all four frames have moved along since the first post, and will show where they've got to at the end of the week, got something else to show tomorrow
      Delete
  11. Another good nostalgic book is "Just a Geek" by Wil Wheaton. Very funny, especially his chapter on swapping his Star Wars Land Speeder with the Death Star model. Bad swaps with friends were the thing back then lol.

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Just-Geek-Unflinchingly-fulfillment-Enterprise/dp/0596806310/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1528021444&sr=1-3&keywords=wil+wheaton

    Reply
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a great book, and regrettably did some not to great swaps in hindsight, but live and learn ! LOL
      Delete
  12. ABC Warriors were a firm fav of all the 2000AD titles when I was a lad. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with Dave.

    Wonder if in the future Warlord Games will include them in their new 2000AD game?
    Reply
    Replies
    1. Hi Dai, and welcome to the cupboard. The ABC Warriors have always been one of my favourites so was an easy choice for forgotten heroes.
      We can but hope that Warlord do some rules for them at some point for one of their games
      Delete

No comments:

Post a Comment