Monday 31 July 2023

KEEP MOVING FORWARD

 I haven't actually completed anything for today's post, but moved on a couple of steps with my Rebel Transporter. Last time I showed the start of the panelling on the tail section, next I needed to cap the end piece the edge was done in a single piece, as there was plenty of area on the flat sides, I didn't have to hold it with any pins. I then capped the end and two sides, again being flat and no curves to deal with no pins were needed.


Next up is the top crest, being a heavy curve, it needed to be done in stages again, so once I'd cut all the panels required out of 0.5 mm plasticard I glued the first edge on and let set hard.


This time I've put the pins through the plasticard to hold it in place while the glue sets, and will fill the holes and blend the edge when this is dry.


We are now at the half way point of this years challenge, and below is the list of all this years participants, and what they've shown so far, there are a couple more participants since I last listed them, and don't worry if you haven'[t posted anything yet as you still have all of August to post your entry.

joesavestheday 

lostdamnedstunted

angrypiper already finished a load of terrain for the Alien game.

justneedsvarnish making some great headway through his Pacific era terrain

tllw Made great progress on his ACW gaming board.

kuribospainting adding some real depth to his Fallout scenery.

pmpainting already created a real romp through nature.

azazelx has completed many pieces already for multiple genres.

rantingsfromunderthewargamestable

convertordie

doubledowndice has been adding more pieces for his dungeon crawl scenery.

dagreenhorde

caveadsum1471 has utilised pieces from multiple builds to create a stunning building.

spacedinosaurminis already posted up a load of Armada ships (remember vehicles count ) and a great shrine.

markamorin the hot air balloon he's done is excellent.

jonhobbydesk

gurupig has been busy working on a tabletops worth of Sci-Fi scenery.

I believe that is everyone who has expressed an interest in taking part so far, but if I have missed you off the list let me know in the comments, but I have an honourable mention as his latest piece of scenery he posted up looks awesome oldschoolworkshop Suber has done a fantastic job relacing the board he had to get rid of due to storage problems ( We've all been there ! LOL) and well worth a look for inspiration. That's all for this post, so until next time stay safe and have fun !

Cheers Dave

20 comments:

  1. John@justneedsvarnish31 July 2023 at 09:51

    Good progress on the transporter Dave! :-) Things like the plating can be fiddly and time consuming but need to be done even though they don't appear glamorous! Looks like most people are doing well on the challenge. I've now got the second half of my "jungle" mounted on MDF - not sure if I'll post it since it'll just look like the first lot (hopefully)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John, you're not wrong time consuming but worth it for the overall look of the piece in the end. Indeed we have had a treasure trove of entries already, and I've been sent pictures from some of the others on what they are working on, and we've got some great pieces to look forward to. I would definitely post them up, as you've put in the work, so get the recognition.

      Delete
  2. Really clever use of paperclips to hold it all in place, I wouldn't have thought of that haha. Looking forward to seeing this one complete!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SD, it's what step by step guides are all about, sharing ideas that may help someone else with a project. I would love to see this one complete as well ! LOL

      Delete
  3. It's hard for me to tell what exactly you are doing in those pics but it looks complicated and hard. I trust in your skills though. 😁
    I'll have a look at those other participants entries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stewart, I'll try better with my explanations and pictures to try and make it clearer on future posts ! LOL
      There are some fantastic entries to see, and with the sneak peeks I've seen we have lots more to come as well.

      Delete
  4. Attention to detail is important in projects like this. Keep up the good work matey - I like what all these additions thus far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dai, indeed the larger the piece the more detail it needs, otherwise it comes out plain and dull, thankfully I'm now onto painting, which looks like it will require as much work as the build ! LOL

      Delete
  5. Looks like good progress, what glue did you use out of interest? Paperclips make sense, I'd have just tapped it and lived with it moving!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain, I used "no more nails" as it doesn't eat into the foam core, but provides a good bond with the plasticard. Always trying new way to hold things while they dry, I found the drawback with this method, was it held a little too well where the pin was on some of them, and created an indentation, but was easy enough to fill.

      Delete
  6. It's coming along nicely, Dave! It does look fiddly as hell but you're getting there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt, not the trickiest thing I've ever tried, and probably wont be the last either ! LOL I like to think of them as learning tools, until I find easier ways to do things. I'm happy to say that I am now on the painting stage, so hopefully it wont be too much longer, as long as real life builds go smoother ! LOL

      Delete
  7. It looks like you're making good progress and I can't imagine it will be too long before you can get to painting it. Its great to see what others are up to with a little less than a month to go in the challenge as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeff, yes it's already got a splash of colour on it, but needs a lot more ! LOL There has been so many great entries already, so I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone does in the coming month.

      Delete
  8. Wow Dave, that is ingenious indeed! Can't wait to see more. And oh yeah, thanks for counting my Munchkin Aerostat in the challenge - that took a lot of time. I'm hoping to get some small bits added as well, we'll see how far I get...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mark, always trying out new things and is good to share these ideas with everyone, as they may find it useful. No problem on including the Balloon, as it is a vehicle, and could see how much work you put into it

      Delete
  9. I do like to see thestages of an ongoing scratchbuild, mine have a lot of clamps, elastic bands and tape, but paperclips is a first from my pov.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe, yes trusty rubber bands, tape and clamps are a must have, but because of the point of contact I needed, and new tool was required ! LOL

      Delete
  10. Very interesting WIP shots, Dave. I'm looking forward (through my backwards time-travel method of reading and catching up on posts) seeing the condition of how the Rebel Transporter started...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Azazel, it can be a fun way to see things ! LOL hopefully this gives others ideas on how to solve problems.

      Delete