Thursday 22 June 2023

AND YOU ARE ?

 Today I've got a couple of obscure characters from Jabba's Palace. First is Jess this is what Wookiepedia has to say about her :

Jess was a popular Human female musician. Secretly, she hoped to eventually leave Jabba's Palace by joining a band. Jess was often seen in the company of Bib Fortuna, and she witnessed Han Solo's rescue.

In 4 ABY, Jess worked as a musician in Jabba's Palace, hoping to eventually leave the establishment by joining a band. Jess had been leaning against a stone post when R2-D2 and C-3PO entered the main audience chamber, and watched the former deliver a message to Jabba Desilijic Tiure. She was often seen in the company of Bib Fortuna[2] stroking his lekku. He reciprocated the gesture, often leading her around the throne room by hand, and letting her sit nestled to him. Though he dragged her to the sight of the dancing girl Oola being fed to the rancor. Later, she was left to slumber alone on Jabba's dais with two other patrons as Fortuna lay in wait with his master, ready to spring the trap as Leia Organa, disguised as Boushh, released Han Solo from carbonite.[1] When Luke Skywalker arrived to Jabba's Palace, she was seen in the arms of J'Quille.[3] Whether she went on Jabba's sail barge with the others is unknown.

For the model it is completely made from greenstuff.


Painting wise I've tried to tie her colours as best I can and include a reference picture below for you to judge by.


The next character I have today is Thul Fain, here is what Wookiepedia has to say :

Thul Fain was a Human male who served as a pilot in the Galactic Empire and worked alongside Lieutenant Tanbris prior to the Battle of Yavin. Fain left Imperial service by the year 4 ABY and worked as a smuggler for the crime lord Jabba the Hutt. During his time at the Hutt's palace on the planet Tatooine, Fain was also a gambler and enjoyed betting on how long the victims of Jabba's rancor would last. In 4 ABY, Fain was in Jabba's Palace when Rebel Alliance leader Leia Organa arrived with the intent to rescue her ally, smuggler Han Solo, from his imprisonment there.

For this one I've actually used an existing model as a starting point my own bartender.


Next I added some grrenstuff to bring his outfit more in line with the character.


Painting again I've tried to match the included reference picture as best as I can.


That's all for today, although I still have lots more humans for Jabba's Palace to do, I think for my next ones I'll move over to the cantina, as I only have 9 patrons left to do to complete them all, so until next time stay safe and have fun !

Cheers Dave


16 comments:

  1. John@justneedsvarnish22 June 2023 at 03:55

    Very nicely done, Dave! :-) I like the blue Jess is wearing (and her hair of course)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John, it's Vallejo game colour magic blue, on both, the trousers had wash and highlighting, the hair was straight paint, as her hair had an unnatural lack of shadow to it in the reference pictures I saw of her.

      Delete
  2. Lovely addition of some more obscure characters that I once again had to look up, but once I did, of course they were so obviously hidden in plain sight - of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dai, Star wars was always very good at hiding so many characters in plain sight, I think it was we were overloaded with so many details in each shot, that our focus was on what the main characters were doing, that we missed so much, was so glad when video and then DVD came along, allowed me to see so much more ! LOL

      Delete
  3. Nice creations. I feel like SW has been around for so long now that extras on the screen now have hole back stories created. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stewart, you are not wrong as many weren't named until a release of a toy ,which some then later changed, and the stories have been added in through other forms of media. There are still a few that haven't had this treatment, but not as many as those that have.

      Delete
  4. Anything I could say falls short. This project is enormously awesome and I keep on discovering tiny corners of the SW universe here and there. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suber, enormous is a good word, I'd also use consuming ! LOL Glad to show some corners that are new to you.

      Delete
  5. Excellent work on these patrons, Dave! As a lifelong Star Wars collector (until the last couple of years), I've owned action figures and cards of many background characters but both of these are new to me. You did a great job capturing their likeness and it is a joy to see working on this project again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeff, I am surprised you didn't have either of these in either card or figure as I found both while looking for reference pictures, although saying that Thul's figure wasn't very good ! LOL I think I'll always be working on this project in one form or another ! LOL

      Delete
  6. Wonderful additions to the bystanders in the Palace, and a lot of work, not only making them, but also tothe research and brushwork bringing them to life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe, there were certain shots inside the palace that felt really crowded with patrons, so wanted to get as many done as possible.

      Delete
  7. We will need to see the full Cantina and Jabba's Palace layouts, Dave! Even if there' still a few more background characers to come... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Azazael, I've still got to build a cantina, but did build Jabba's throne room and Rancor pit, still need to build the kitchen, robot room, and prison cells, if only someone ran a scenery challenge ! LOL

      Delete
  8. Oh yea, I like Azazel's comment about doing up the Cantina and Palace! Both these minis turned out nicely, though my old brain doesn't recall seeing either in the movies! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brian, a lot of these characters are very hard to spot, they appear for only a second or two, and are often obscured by other more prominent characters ! LOL I will build the cantina at some point, and probably build some more of Jabba's Palace as well.

      Delete