Friday 16 June 2023

FORGOTTEN DROID

 Following on from my last post, I have made some progress on WED-9-M1 in that it is now finished, below is the master model, made with Plastic rod, paper clips and some greenstuff.


Below is the painted version, I've tried to match the colours as best as I could to the reference picture which I have included below for comparison.


After working on such large scale models, this went surprisingly quickly, which means I now need to find another model to do for Forgotten heroes, I will probably look at some of the patrons to the cantina, or Jabba's Palace next. I have managed to paint up some more droids for my Star Wars project as well, but they don't count for this years challenge. First up is some R3 units, for those that don't know an R3 looks the same as an R2 but has a clear dome, after my success with the cocktail glass, I tried the same process with these, here's R3-B2


next is R3-T6


This next R3 unit I couldn't find it's designation.


I've also got another R5 unit painted, couldn't find it's designation, but it appeared in the briefing room in "Return of the Jedi"


I've also got another Power Droid painted, as well.


Here is a group shot of them all, which shows the scale of WED-9-M1


That's all for today, so until next time stay safe and have fun !

Cheers Dave

18 comments:

  1. Very cool to see yet more droids for your collection. You must have dozens by now?

    WED is a wonky looking fellow for sure. Wonder what his design was supposed to be for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dai, I'm at least over 60 now, probably should stop when I reach 100 ! LOL
      To me it looks like a cross between a treadwell, and an astromech with a bit of original lost in space thrown in for good measure ! LOL He could be a form of maintenance droid, being he was near the used speeder lot.

      Delete
  2. John@justneedsvarnish16 June 2023 at 10:36

    Nice work on this bunch, Dave! :-) A good range of colour schemes as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you john, I do like to find varied colour schemes for the droids, as I have enough to do with one scheme with all the stormtroopers ! LOL

      Delete
  3. What an output! I wasn't expecting to see so many finished droids here but they all look great. I really like the alternate color schemes on the astromech droids. R2-D2 is obviously iconic but there's some pretty good alternatives as it turns out. Now that I think about it, is R2 the Star Wars version of a space marine!? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeff, most of these I've been working on over the last few weeks, while waiting for greenstuff or paint to dry, so it just seems a lot once I got them all posted ! LOL I like to find more variation if possible, just found a mint green R2 unit reference picture. I think R2 has only not appeared in 3 series, the bad batch, Obi-Wan, and Andor, so he certainly gets around ! LOL

      Delete
  4. Busy bee indeed! Great results, I'm in love with that WED unit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suber, try to keep my output up ! LOL I could see it having uses in multiple systems, not to say people couldn't use other Star Wars droids elsewhere also. I once hid an R2 unit on a Warlord Titan for a Games Day board (got in a lot of trouble for that one ! LOL)

      Delete
  5. The R3 units steal the show here. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stewart, they do have some stand out colour schemes don't they.

      Delete
  6. Wow! What a load of droids, Dave. Marvellous stuff - and some seriously colourful Astromechs on display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon, I do like to find more interesting colour schemes if possible, rather than just the mostly white ones ! LOL

      Delete
  7. Splendid looking collection of droids!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain, getting quite a few now, still plenty more to do ! LOL

      Delete
  8. ANother six droids - and why not ! They do look good. almost right off the screen including the rugby ball headed one that makes a veyr bried appearmace - I like.it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe, it was one of the things that I always remember about Star Wars, is the amount of droids just going about their business in the background, so any game would need a lot just being there, not necessarily effecting the game just being there doing their own thing ! LOL

      Delete
  9. WED-9-M1 and all the other droids turned out awesome! Where is the ref pic for WED-9-M1 from? I wonder if they built that droid, then decided they were not crazy about it, and it got shunted to the back as scenery? The R3s look really interesting and I don't recall seeing them, though my mind might have been expecting a solid headpiece and thus didn't 'see' the transparent part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brian, WED appears twice, once at the sale of Luke's speeder, and the shot this is from, is in the alleyway when the stormtroopers are checking all the doors, where 3PO and R2 are hiding. Because R3's are exactly the same as R2's other than a clear dome, they are very easy to miss.

      Delete