Sunday 27 October 2019

WHEN IS A ROAD NOT A ROAD ?

When it's a board !
In a recent post on Frank's blog nickelandimeproductions the comments got to discussing how to have movable roads with the paths and buildings being higher and road markings, but still being flexible to change around.
Here are a couple of ways you can achieve this.
1 K.I.S.S.
keep it simple stupid this isn't a slight on anyone but me as I tend to over complicate things, it's just my nature !
If you paint all your base board the colour you want your roads ( this could be black or mottled grey, depending on what material you want) then place your buildings and paths where you want for the current game. then using white and yellow sticky labels add in the road markings you want, for extra detail you could make manhole covers and drains in thin plasticard so they don't rise up too high. Once you've finished your game remove all the markings and your board is ready to go again. You could also do it with paint, and paint over the markings each time, but you may get a build up of paint over time.
2 Dave's lots of work way
This way is a lot more involved but does mean it's completely interchangeable and you can add all the detail you want,  and only have to do it once.

The straight sections need to be made to the length of your buildings, if all your buildings are the same length you can make all the straights the same, if your buildings are different lengths  then you need to make road sections the lengths of all your buildings.
The cross roads and T junctions need to be made to the dotted lines.
Don't forget to add extra depth at the base of your buildings to equal the depth of the pavement.
Hope this helps you John, Frank and Greg.
That's it for this time so have fun !
Cheers Dave

9 comments:

  1. Thanks Dave, your K.I.S.S idea is very similar to one John & myself talked about sometime back on one of our blogs only the idea was to use masking tape or should I say tailors tape which is kind of the same thing only you can get it in a quarter of an inch wide roll, as for the other part of the idea of manhole covers & drains neither of us thought of that but I think its a top idea, with the manhole covers even giving some in game value as a character could pop down one & pop up from another a turn or two later :)

    Your second idea the Dave way is probable the best answer to the problem tbh even though its not what I see myself doing as I'm most likely to go with a couple of different boards & home made mats with different road lay outs or them that I'll then place the buildings on.

    Once again thanks for taking the time out to do this post & for sharing your ideas with us :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Frank, always happy to share ideas. It's the dilemma we all go through, flexibility versus stunning looking layout.

      Delete
  2. Echoing Franks comment thanks for your ideas Dave much appreciate that. I already have some road sections but they obviously join together and you can always see that join. I think what both Frank and I are after is more akin to railway scenery where there are no joins, which does mean you have limitations in layout.
    It's a bit of a conundrum, tiles or sections always have joins, fixed scenery always has the same layout.
    I'm sure it was Franks idea about the masking tape or some other tape to create the road markings and I think there's some mileage in that.
    Thanks again for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem John, Railway layouts look awesome, but have no flexibility which is what wargamers always struggle with. The sectionable roads do have have the drawback of seeing the sections

      Delete
  3. You offer some good advice, Dave. Way back in 2009 I posted my solutions for modular gaming boards using the roads, pavements and concrete sections by World Works Games. You can see them here - https://vampifansworldoftheundead.blogspot.com/2009/11/wwg-modular-gaming-boards.html
    These follow your second suggested method. the pavements are ever so slightly raised by gluing them to mounting card. I agree with John's comment that placing tthem together does create visible joins but I found that a small price that was worth paying as it allowed me greater flexibility with them, making my boards truly modular. I still have these boards and I'm more than pleased with how they turned out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Bryan, there are several companies that make road sections I believe, the drawback with bought ones can be the roads don't marry up with the length of your buildings.
      At the end of the day we each go the route we want to, and as long as were happy with it that's the main thing

      Delete
    2. I think this is the big dilemma in wargaming if you are trying to get the best look with the greatest flexibility. I'm a big fan of what Bryan did with the World Works printed terrain.

      Delete
    3. That is very kind of you, John. Much appreciated!

      Delete
    4. Indeed John, it is a tricky balance, maybe one day someone will find the perfect solution, but until then we will just have to do what makes each of us happy

      Delete