Friday 11 October 2019

GUIDE TO PAINTING LITTLE SHIPS

As Simon asked if I could do a step by step guide on painting the Armada scale ships I have made this article on how I approach them. Step 1-3 will work on all the rebel fighters.
Step 1 Basecoat

This was applied with a brush in an attempt to not clog the details with a spray can, I used Gw Administraum grey to help give more contrast with the next step.
Step 2 Wash

I then applied an even wash of GW Nuln Oil all over the model.
Step 3 Drybrush

Next I gave a directional drybrush of GW White Scar all over the model, when I say directional I mean drybrushing from front to back as this will help with streak marks.
Step 4A Details

On the A-Wing I added the red markings using Vallejo burnt red next, when dry I then applied black to the canopy, the two wing guns and on the back of the engines to help show there is normally a gap there. If you want you can then add a little more detail on the back by painting the two engines with a dot of yellow, once dry then add a dot of white in the middle.
Step 4B Details

On the B-Wing I added grey to the engine exhaust and intake, when dry I applied a little black wash. The last detail I applied was the red disc markings with Vallejo blood red. As a final detail on the back I painted the engine nozzles with orange, then when dry I applied a red glaze over the top.
Step 4X Details

Here I added red markings with vallejo blood red on the fuselage and wings, then picked out the canopy glass with black, the rear part of the engines had a coat of grey then black wash, and as a final detail I added Vellejo warlord purple to the ends of the four engines, and once dry added a white dot to the centre of each.
Step 4Y Details

The Y-Wing was probably the easiest, first I filled the back of the engines with black wash and window lenses, I also did the back of the engine with a black dot at the same time. Then I painted the markings on the front of ship with yellow.
For Imperial ships you could use a similar process just drybrushing the relevant tone of grey instead of white. Hope you find this useful.
Until next time have fun !
Cheers Dave

16 comments:

  1. Very informative and very useful, Dave. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Bryan, always happy to help and share ideas and techniques

      Delete
  2. Many thanks indeed, Dave. I've dug my minis out, and hope to give this a try out over the weekend. Very grateful to you for taking the time aside to post this up. Now where's the imperial guide? LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Simon, glad I could help inspire painting of some of the pile ! LOL As I said at the bottom of the post Imperials would use the same method just using the relevant grey, I would say aministratum grey for standard TIE fighters and russ grey for a TIE interceptor, will have a look at the bombers and advance and see if I can work out the colours

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this Dave, I'm impressed with the nuln oil wash, it seems to give a very even and graduated wash, Im using the soft, dark and strong tones of wash from the Army Painter range, and unlike everyone in the universe I'm not that impressed with it. I find it tends to look dirty and pool badly. It's possibly my technique but I'm thinking of going back to oil washes which were much smoother.
    Have you used the Army Painter ones and do you think Nuln oil is better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem John, I've never used the army painter tones so have no idea how they perform I'm afraid. With washes they can be prone to swamping an area if you have too much loaded on the brush, but that can be easily rectified by drawing the wash back into the brush when it's empty.
      As with all products it's experimenting with them to find the best way for you, but can happily show you when you visit

      Delete
  4. Good to see the process Dave, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Michael, if it helps people get through their model pile, it's got to be a good thing

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the tutorial. These looks so cool. Always used to admire the shop displays at my LGs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon, this technique can be used on multiple small scales, always nice to see great looking displays

      Delete
  6. That's a very helpful tutorial Dave thanks for taking the time out to post it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Frank, if it helps it was well worth the effort

      Delete
  7. Nice step by step and lovely results!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain, always happy to share if people want to know

      Delete
  8. Nice and simple but with a good end result. Nicely done Dave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dai, the smaller the piece I find the more you need to simplify your painting

      Delete