Thursday 8 February 2024

SEND MY GUARD SQUADRON INTO BATTLE

 My next set of models completed have been sat on my desk for far too long, I believe I got them for Christmas two years ago, so was really about time I got them finished. They are the Death Trooper box set for Legion, now I already have the four from Imperial Assault, so this will round them up to a full squad of 10. The Death Troopers first appeared in the film "Rogue One" as a security detail for Director Krennic, but have since appeared in the cartoon series "Star Wars Rebels" and the series "The Mandalorian" the worst part of them sitting there was I had done all the work just not the edge highlighting and the varnish, and every time I looked at them, I just didn't feel like doing the edge work, until this week where I just knuckled down and got them done, I did leave them a full day before adding the varnish so there would be no bleeds or erasing from the varnish.


I've also got a Twilek with missile launcher finished, this rebel came from the X-34 landspeeder set, which I stuck on a standard base, and used a little greenstuff to show her digging her heels into the sand to brace herself. I've based her colours on Numa, who appeared in the series "Clone Wars" as a child, and later appeared in "Star Wars Rebels" as a resistance fighter.


Next up will probably be more Imperials, or it might be rebels, so until next time stay safe and have fun !

Cheers Dave

17 comments:

  1. The work on the troopers is ace, but then the repurposing of Numa is outstanding. Well seen, pretty clever work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suber, it's nice to not have them staring at me from my desk ! LOL Don't like wasting models, even if they are not suitable for what I want, I can normally find a way to use them somewhere else ! LOL

      Delete
  2. John@justneedsvarnish8 February 2024 at 14:45

    Nice work on all of these, Dave! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John, it's actually cleared a couple of square inches off my desk now, just need to keep up the pace, so I can get some bigger projects on there ! LOL

      Delete
  3. Great work on the Death Troopers, the result looks very clean. The Twilek looks great too and it's a fitting pose for this large weapon - I can imagine she fell over from the knockback once and now prefers to sit when firing it, haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you snapfit, glad to finally have them finished, and I couldn't do the dirtying I do on the stormtroopers, being black it didn't show up, so went with clean and shiney. Your probably not wrong that she learnt her lesson, as a missile launcher of any type has a hell of a kick ! LOL

      Delete
  4. Great work Dave, love that menacing gleam from the varnish. How do this shape up to the Imperial Assault ones scale wise?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael, it seemed to be the easiest way to replicate what was in the movie, so glad it worked out ! LOL Size wise the Imperial Assault version is only a couple of mm shorter than the Legion ones, but they were some of the largest models that came out during that series

      Delete
  5. Very nice work on the Death Troopers, Dave, and Numa. I always feel that I'm cheating when I'm painting pure black models like these troopers though, regardless of whether I highlight or dry-brush them to give them a little tone. Not sure why, just a mental thing - especially if I've paid a small fortune to acquire the figures in the first place. LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon, as black is an absence of colour it actually can be one of the hardest colours to paint effectively, as it can end up looking too grey or chalky, and I find it actually takes more work than a normal colour, even more than white, which would be the other tricky colour, I think it's just a mindset, as the easy way of doing black is paint it straight black and leave it ! LOL

      Delete
  6. Well, you know me and how much I love Rogue One. The Death Troopers have an excellent design and were the perfect minions for Krennic! You did a fantastic job painting them up even if they are mostly black! The Twi'lek is no slouch either. She looks primed to cause some destruction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeff, probably my favourite movie as well ! LOL They are a great concept, and good to see they have used them sparingly in the franchise, Numa was a pleasant bit of colour while finishing all that black ! LOL

      Delete
  7. Very nice work, Dave. You've got their shiny armour down perfectly as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Azazael, trying to match them without gloss varnish would be a nightmare ! LOL

      Delete
  8. Nice work! I keep getting the Death Troopers confused with the Dark Troopers from Dark Forces. I guess trying to beat that game just seared them into my brain! The Twilek looks great too. I really like that mini.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brian, easily mistaken as they both have black armour ! LOL the Twilek is such a great model I didn't want to easte her, even if she wasn't going to be on my speeder.

      Delete