Tuesday 30 May 2023

FORGOTTEN HEROES 2023

 The 1 st of June see's the start of this years Forgotten Heroes challenge which you can find all the rules for carrioncrowsbuffet I've been debating what to do this year, and was thinking of just ploughing my way through a load more Star Wars characters, but felt I hadn't done anything based on comic's for a while either, so what to do ? With all the large models I did last month I wanted to do something large, as the bigger models have been pushing my limits on the painting side, and I do like to challenge myself, so I decided that I was going to make a display piece this year rather than gaming pieces, and had the perfect piece to do that with.


The above picture is of D.R. & Quinch (the big pink one) with Crazy Chrissy ( the one sat on a bomb). These three characters are from 2000 ad, here is what Wikipedia says about them :

D.R. & Quinch is a comic strip about two delinquent alien drop-outs. It was created by Alan Moore and Alan Davis for the British weekly comics anthology 2000 AD. It first appeared in 1983. The strip was the tale of how two alien teenage students Waldo "D.R." (for "Diminished Responsibility") Dobbs, a scheming criminal mastermind, and Ernest Errol Quinch, his muscular purple-skinned companion in crime, have influenced Earth's history in various anarchic ways.

Publication history

Creation and concept

D.R. and Quinch began in 2000 AD as a one-off comic in the Time Twisters series titled “D.R. and Quinch Have Fun On Earth”. The characters were initially meant to only appear once but they proved so popular that they were given their own semi-regular series.[1]

D.R. and Quinch were inspired by the National Lampoon characters O.C. and Stiggs.[2] The film Animal House has also been cited as an influence.[3] Alan Davis took visual inspiration from the cartoon style of Leo Baxendale’s Grimly Feendish.[3] Alan Moore has described D.R. & Quinch as belonging to the tradition of British teenage delinquency comics, comparable to Dennis the Menace except with “a thermonuclear capacity”.[2]

Later appearances

The pair's last storyline, "D.R. and Quinch Go to Hollywood," ran from progs 363 to 367 and is considered to be Moore and Davis's finest D.R. and Quinch story.[4] However, at the time, the Moore/Davis partnership was undergoing strain due to Moore refusing permission for their Captain Britain work to be reprinted. The pair's last D.R. and Quinch work together was in the 2000 AD Sci-Fi Special in 1985.

D.R. and Quinch continued to appear in 2000 AD from progs 525 to 534 in the form of an advice column with readers sending in letters with personal problems solved by D.R. and Quinch in their own way. One such column was "hijacked" by D.R.'s girlfriend Crazy Chrissy. These later episodes were written by Jamie Delano.

In 1986 Titan Books released a collection of all D.R. and Quinch stories from 2000 AD called D.R. and Quinch's Totally Awesome Guide To Life. It became one of Titan's best selling books in their lines of 2000 AD reprints. The book went out of print several times and it has since been collected as The Complete D.R. and Quinch (ISBN 1-84023-345-1) in 2001.

In 2018, INDIO comics released a story, "D.R. & Quinch Hijack Free Comic Book Day", which was part of a "2000 AD Regened" all-ages comic created for Free Comic Book Day. The strip was created by Owen Michael Johnson and Colin Bell.[5]

Characters

Waldo "D.R." Dobbs — scheming criminal mastermind

Ernest Errol Quinch — D.R.'s muscular purple-skinned companion

Crazy Chrissy — D.R.'s girlfriend, formerly known as Chrysoprasia, or Chirpy to her friends

Pulger — paranoid veteran of the Ghoyogi slime jungle wars

Reception

D.R. & Quinch's anarchic humour was popular with its original audiences — the feature won the 1985 Eagle Award (for comics published in 1984) for Character Most Worthy of Own Title; and the supporting characters Pulger and Chrysoprasia were both nominated for Favourite Supporting Character.[6] In addition, the first collection of stories, D.R. & Quinch's Totally Awesome Guide to Life, won the 1987 Eagle Award for Favourite Comic Album.[7]

The series has had a strong reputation since it was first published. It stands out as something so obviously different when compared to the rest of Moore’s body of work that it is worthy of attention.[1] It has been called the "absurd, cartoony, delightfully vicious other side of Halo Jones".[8] Writing for Time, Douglas Wolk described it as, for the majority of its run, "one of the funniest comics ever"[4] and Neil Gaiman has credited it with being one of the greatest 2000 AD stories.[9]

In a later interview, however, co-creator Moore expressed discomfort with how the series exploits violence for comic effect, claiming that it has no “lasting or redeeming social value”.[10][2]

I always found these characters funny and even had pictures of them on my bulling brushes when I was in the army ( No one was taking them without anyone spotting they were mine ! LOL). I'm going to build them in 100 mm scale, which should allow for plenty of detail, and give me a few challenges, as is customary I need to show the base model I'll be working from.


Yes they will be scratchbuilt from foam and greenstuff, I'm hoping to do all 3 plus a few bits to go around them to go on the base, and if I get them all done before the end of the month, maybe I'll do a couple of Star Wars figures as well, that's all for this post so until next time stay safe and have fun !

Cheers Dave

25 comments:

  1. Those characters take me back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very iconic Phil, when they manipulated the shape of Earth to insult one of the officials on their homeworld was very funny ! LOL

      Delete
  2. good luck with the project!
    is there like a challenge every month? seems like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, as fun as unexpected!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suber, hopefully my next post tomorrow should have some modelling in it ! LOL

      Delete
  4. Oh man, I loved DR & Quinch back in the day! I can't wait to see what you do with these chaps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were always my favourite lighter hearted characters, and hope I can do them justice

      Delete
  5. Looking forward to these, I used to enjoy reading them , long ago and far away!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain, with so many people liking these characters, I better do a good job ! LOL

      Delete
  6. I've heard of 2000 AD but I'm not sure how much influence it had here in the States. So what I'm really saying is, you better do something Star Wars if you don't want to lose your American audience, haha! In all seriousness, I look forward to seeing what you come up with and it doesn't look like I'll have wait long to do so either :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeff, don't worry I'm already feeling the itch to do something Star Wars, as I wouldn't want to lose any of my US fan base ! LOL

      Delete
    2. Maybe you've done this and I just can't remember but have you considered doing anything from Solo? I saw some models from that movie last night and it reminds me how cool some parts of the movie are. Just a little further thought and motivation for you ;)

      Delete
    3. If you remember I did do Enfys Nest from the movie the other year, and part of the syndicate from Correlia, I'd still like the hounds, and Lady Proxima to finish that bit, and some Crimson Dawn enforcers, but have seen some great 3D prints for them, so nothing is truly off limits ! LOL

      Delete
  7. I'll have to disagree with Jeff. Being a Comics geek, I have heard of 2000AD and have to say that the artists from that comic had a profound effect on American Comics! Sometimes known as the "Brit Invasion". Alan Moore turned American comics upside down. You also had a number of great artists like Brian Bolland, Alan Davis, etc.

    I actually hadn't heard of these characters but sounds pretty interesting with the Moore and Davis team-up. I had a good laugh at Moore's comment about his own work on that strip "no lasting or redeeming social value”. Sounds just like him! He has also asked for his name to be removed from some of the works that Comic companies reprint. So the last Miracleman Omnibus lists all the contributors, except Moore who wrote the series. So odd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brian, a friend of mine who visited the states brought me back a Nemesis the Warlock that was printed over there, thinking it would be something I hadn't seen before, unfortunately it was just a reprint of one of the stories I already had ! LOL I did like the Judge Dredd/ Batman graphic novels though.
      As for Moore he does have some strange ways indeed ! LOL

      Delete
    2. I probably shouldn't make judgements about things that were released around the time I was born because I might have missed a detail or two from that time period! I almost said that in my first comment but didn't want to make anyone feel old around here :)

      Delete
    3. LOL I'm still 21, just on an anniversary of it until I get it right ! LOL

      Delete
  8. My interest in 2000 AD disappeared a long time ago (my small collection has only comic numbers under three digits (60s -90s iirc) so these characters are (of coure) compltely unknown to me, Good luck getting this done, it looks a huge undertaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe, it should be a suitable challenge for me, and yes these characters didn't appear to well into the triple digits so fully understandable.

      Delete
  9. John@justneedsvarnish7 June 2023 at 09:15

    This looks like a very worthy subject for a challenge, Dave! :-) Given how up to date I'm not I'll be looking forward to seeing these weeks after they're finished no doubt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John, you're in time mate, as I'm still working my way through the subject matter and haven't finished yet ! LOL

      Delete
  10. I vaguely recall this lot from my younger comic reading days (Eagle and 2000AD - after I set the Beano aside). Looking forward to seeing what you do with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dai, 2000 ad and Action were my comics I moved to after the Beano, it's been an idea for a while now, so hopefully I can see it through to completion.

      Delete
  11. Interesting pair of characters - somehow it's not surprising to read that well-liked characters were created by Alan Moore and that Alan Moore is now very grumpy about them. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are indeed Azazael, being a teenager when I first read them, I could relate strongly with the characters. It's funny how so many creators dislike their work later on ! LOL

      Delete