Friday 12 May 2023

HERE BOY

Today I have a couple of GW Dark Eldar Khymera as my next entry for Monster May(hem), these look a bit like skinless dogs, the official synopsis is as follows :

A Khymera (pl. Khymerae), are terrifying creatures, literally born from an intelligent being's nightmares. They spawn in the Warp or on Daemon Worlds, coalescing into existence like malignant cysts around the psychic energies that fear and terror leaves in the Immaterium. They do not form at the whim of the Chaos Gods nor do they appear to be fragments of these powers.

Taxonomists of the Ordo Malleus classify them not as actual daemons but as Warp creatures, one example of the many unnatural flora and fauna existing in the Immaterium, though this distinction is usually lost on those facing the beasts.

Khymerae lack a proper corporeal form, allowing them to flicker between realspace and the Sea of Souls at whim, appearing momentarily before a foe and then vanishing suddenly to launch an attack from an unexpected direction.

Their phasing powers also mean Khymerae can appear inside areas thought secure -- such as locked rooms or the fighting compartments of armoured vehicles. They have even been known to appear inside of moving voidships, meaning they were either drawn by on-board psykers or were directed in the attack by agencies unknown.

Khymerae are among the creatures tamed by the Drukhari Beastmasters, technically members of the Wych Cults, though they are always male and remain remote from the true Hekatarii. Some Imperial savants who know of such things suspect they are part of an ancient Aeldari shamanic tradition, for when the Beastmasters go to battle, they wear totems and masks echoing the nature of the alien predators under their control.

It is partially because of these artefacts that they enjoy such mastery over their ferocious beasts, for their masks harbour complex sonic emitters and pheromone traps. The Warp-beasts called Khymerae are living proof of the Beastmasters' skills as a spirit-hunter.

Beastmasters must hunt down and harness their own Khymerae in perilous fugues or dream-quests, but if they are successful, they can draw entire packs of Khymerae back across the veil to the physical dimension to do their bidding. Khymerae set loose on the battlefields of realspace can wreak utter havoc before fading away like mist.

I've gone for similar colours as the GW version except on the tongues and tentacles where I've used the same colours as the Fiend's tail. 

Just noticed the flock in this picture, and have now cleaned it off !

I found these two on Ebay recently at a reasonable price, just before GW rereleased them on their webstore, which would have been more expensive with the postage, than the pair I found, so I was happy. I need 3 more to finish the unit, which I will sculpt, to add some variation. That's all for this post, next timne I will be returning to a galaxy far far away for my next entry, so until then stay safe and have fun !

Cheers Dave

18 comments:

  1. Well that's a couple of horrible looking doggies, Dave! Great work making the skinned flesh look so bloody, and the bone colours really add to the overall "keep those things away from me!" look :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt, they definitely don't look like dogs you would want sitting on your lap, but as guard dogs, would scare away most with a look ! LOL Took a couple of tries to get the right look on the bloody look, but was worth it in the end.

      Delete
  2. They look totally unsettling, unnatural... as they should! Really nice job on the colours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suber, it took a couple of extra coats to get the right look, but was worth it in the end.

      Delete
  3. I know these sculpts are pretty old but I think they hold up well. You can really paint up the sinews on them if you so desire too. Yours look suitably scary and fit the Dark Eldar well. I look forward to seeing what you sculpt for the rest of the unit as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeff, I did paint the sinews, but the Blood for the Blood god covered a lot of the work I did ! LOL As GW have just released these again, I think it will be a while before we see any new sculpts from them. Going for the same style to tie in, but changing the poses to get 5 different looking models.

      Delete
  4. I've been out of the GW loop for longer than I thought, because I didin't know these models existed. They are aweseome and I can think of a ton of uses for them that don't involve 40K. You've done some top-notch work here as always, Dave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Keith, They've been around since the second edition of the codex which came out in 2010, thinking of ways I can do something similar, but unique, so watch this space mate, as I may have some you could use ! LOL

      Delete
  5. Those are pretty frightening! 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stewart, skinless creatures really have been a mainstay in Horror films, guess GW decided to jump on the bandwagon ! LOL

      Delete
  6. John@justneedsvarnish14 May 2023 at 13:00

    Crikey, Dave, those are gross, but in the best possible way! :-) Between these and the monsters Matt's been painting I'm guaranteed to be having nightmares! They look far too realistic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John, sorry for causing any nightmares, these would be like the fluffy bunny version of my nightmares ! LOL

      Delete
  7. Wll dyou wouldn;t lie to meet one of these in a dark aley, let alone twoof them !
    A truly disgusting looking model, so the job's a good'un as they say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe, I reckon they could do a lot of damage, with just the fear of their look ! LOL

      Delete
  8. So 40K "Displacer Beasts" then? LOL

    Pretty cool looking critters. Excited to see what some "Dave Stone" original sculpts of these look like though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dai, thank you couldn't think what these reminded me of, but you've nailed it ! LOL Hopefully I can add a few new twists.

      Delete
  9. Very interesting minis and some grisly painting there Dave! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brian, I guess GW thought the easiest way to show their phasing would be to do them skinless, although I wish I'd used my old recipe with inks, to not lose all the work I did on the sinews ! LOL

      Delete