Monday 29 April 2024

ARE YOU READY

 So May is rapidly approaching, and it is the time for Monster May(hem), Keith has already got the sign up post up, and you can find it at his blog angrypiper . So what is Monster May(hem) well you paint up monsters during the month of May, if you want to get a double win you could paint up a Dragon, which counts for Keith's other challenge Year of the Dragon, which runs until the end of the year. For me I'm going to try and use the time to paint up a couple of large Lord of the Rings models, these are from my own collection, not the box of wonders I've been working on, but I'm thinking of selling as well, as I'm never likely to play LOTR. With this in mind, I've done some background pieces for one of them, why do them before the challenge, well there's a whole squad of models needed for one, which would take away a large chunk of time from the actual Monster. So first up today I have the base required, which has almost a squads worth of bodies on it.


Next up are the crew for the monster, I've photographed them as archers, spearmen, and leader.


You'll notice that the bases are just black, as I'm going to sell this one, I'll leave the basing dilemma to who purchases it ( do you go for earth or wicker ?). That's all for this post, so until next time stay safe, and have fun !

Cheers Dave

22 comments:

  1. Great work on the base and crew, looking forward to seeing the Mumak itself :D
    Got one of those as well, still waiting to get painted - it's such a great kit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you snapfit, the Mumakill is my favourite creature from the movies, so fun to paint one up.
      I found the kit didn't line up well, and had some serious square cut sections underneath that required a lot of work to get right, but that's me probably being fussy ! LOL

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to see this beastie make an appearance. Great start on the base Dave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael, I'm doing some conversion work on the beast itself, not just removing the square cuts, but also adding to the model, hopefully it will be recognisable ! LOL

      Delete
  3. This is one of the best GW LOTR minis from back in the day so I'm thrilled to see you working on it. I think it will make an impressive display piece if you change your mind and want to keep it. Its basically a diorama in a box, in many ways. The Haradrim look great as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeff, have to agree the base alone is like it's own diorama, hopefully the rest I do will add to the whole effect as well. With the Hadrim I wanted a rag tag look, as all the reference pictures I found had multiple different colours in there, so I selected a few, and worked with that ! LOL

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to the Lord of the rings nellie! The crew and base look great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain, it is a bit of a beast of a model, and hopefully what I do with it will work out.

      Delete
  5. Wooow! This is going to be epic! Definitely looking good so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suber, hopefully the rest of what I've got planned will be as good ! LOL

      Delete
  6. Good start on the mayhem by getting those little bits out of the way. I’m sure your monsters will be awesome. 😀
    I’ll be skipping this challenge as I don’t have any monsters on the agenda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stewart, I hope so too ! LOL Understand not taking part if you haven't got any monsters.

      Delete
  7. Splendid work, Dave, and a nice shout-out for Angry Piper's annual Monster May(hem). It reminded me to ask him if I could join. LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon, hopefully the Mumakil will be more impressive ! LOL Always worth highlighting the challenges in case people have forgot, or don't know about it.

      Delete
  8. Oh. Oh, hell yes, Dave. Hell yes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Keith, hope to throw in a couple of surprises as well, but with all I've got planned for this one we'll just have to see ! LOL

      Delete
  9. That should definitely qualify as a monster when all is said and done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SD, it is definitely on the larger size, it's pretty close to the Krayt Dragon a couple of years ago ! LOL

      Delete
  10. John@justneedsvarnish5 May 2024 at 01:25

    That's an impressive base Dave! :-) And I really like the crew - very nice colour scheme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John, just need to make the Mumakil more impressive from the base ! LOL The crew colours were taken from various movie stills, and I was amazed at how much variation there was.

      Delete
  11. That's a great start with the base! So tantalizing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brian, just have to hope the actual creature lives up to it now ! LOL

      Delete