Monday 25 March 2024

NO SCOUT MODELS WERE HARMED IN THE MAKING OF THIS UNIT


This unit of scouts was made and painted to a tabletop level a long time ago, for the tournament I took my Night Hawks to, but they really needed finishing, and now with the veteran status I'm going to have in my army, these seemed perfect candidates with their full camo. I've completely redone the flesh areas on show, and tidied up the rest, I've also added the creeping vines to all the rocks as well, as only a couple had them. The models themselves either started as Imperial Guard snipers or a Captain, and a Vindicare Assassin. I wanted them all to have helmets, apart from the sergeant which was made from the Catachan Captain.


All the models are in the three standard shooting positions either prone (led down), kneeling, or standing, and where possible are resting their rifle on a rock for stability.

I mentioned when I showed my veterans, that I was looking for a alternative for scout bikers, due to my army being flight based, the simple solution would be to put them on jetbikes, but as these are rare in 40K, and I already want to do a full company on them, I needed an alternative. My first idea had been hanggliders, and I may well still do at least 1 unit of these for stealth operations, but I've gone with the Flying Wing that several modern day armies already have.


One of the options with the bikers is to have a grenade launcher, so rather than replace the bolters, I had the scout carry it. I've kept the model dark so it can do night opps and left off all markings except it's squad number which is on top of the wing. 

That's all for todays post, so until next time, stay safe, and have fun !

Cheers Dave  

19 comments:

  1. Hats off to anyone that has a go at camouflage, great job Dave! Love the sights and lensa too, they really 'pop'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael, it is time consuming, but worth it on the right model ! LOL I wanted darker lenses than normal, to fit in with the camouflage theme, but glad they still pop.

      Delete
  2. Well, I really want to like all the minis this time, but the only one I could find was the guy with the Flying Wing. Jussssst kidding! Nice work on all of them! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brian, didn't think they were that well hidden ! LOL It was a fun exercise to come up with a camo pattern that helped blend them into the rocks and foliage, and the cloaks helped break up their shape as well.

      Delete
  3. The scouts sure do look sneaky sneaky. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stewart, Jeff did say he didn't think the standard scout models looked sneaky enough, so really needed to up their stealth level ! LOL

      Delete
    2. Haha, always happy to inspire!

      Delete
    3. Indeed you did, these have been sat waiting to be finished for over 20years ! LOL

      Delete
  4. I had a lot of things to say about the scouts, they are awesome, but then I saw the flying infiltrator and it's jaw dropping. Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suber, in hindsight I should have done it as two separate posts ! LOL I do like the name for the flying scout, and will probably stick with it.

      Delete
  5. Great looking conversions for your stealth scouts and lòve the night flying scout!
    Best Iain caveadsum1471

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain, something a bit different from the run of the mill scouts, also shows how large some of the Imperial guard models are in comparison to the marine models ! LOL

      Delete
  6. Thank you Iain, the flying wing was just made for my army ! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really love the camo, in a few shots I thought it was teams of scouts on each base so that shows it works.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, the camo on these is so good, I had trouble figuring out what was rocks and what was scouts initially! Very impressive work on these, Dave. These scouts look more formidable than the Space Marines ones do in some ways. At least they can sneak up on someone properly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeff, having done a bit of camouflage and concealment, I thought on how best to represent this for these surroundings, and was very pleased with the results.

      Delete
  9. John@justneedsvarnish4 April 2024 at 05:20

    I'm well behind, as usual! All nice minis, Dave! :-) I really like the grey-based camouflage garments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John, no worries, easily done, it's taken me several hours with breaks to catch up from four days ! LOL Tried to find a camo in use that worked well for rocks, in the end had to make my own, but think it turned out well in the end.

      Delete