Monday 18 March 2024

VETERAN STATUS

 In 40K veteran Space Marines are normally in embellished armour, or armour that is only available to them, with one notable exception being Space Wolf scouts, who had a veteran status. Now this may well have changed, as I'm not up to date with GW's rules. As my army relies heavily on scouts, I thought it would be a cool idea to have veteran scouts, as well as normal scouts. To depict the veteran status I decided to paint the armour in my normal chapters colour, rather than the bone colour I normally use (except the sergeant's, which could also be veterans). To further the look as well I've kept the kneepad colour the same as the rest of the armour, instead of the white.


This is the first 5, and I used the scouts from the storm speeder, which gave some quite dynamic poses, the sergeant has a regular marine head with a face grill, to add to the look of his veteran status. I will need to do 5 more to bring it up to a full squad of 10, but will need to find some models first, I may get the new Killteam box to make up a second squad, and also have a stand in for some bikers, but more on that in a later post. So that's all for this post, so until next time, stay safe, and have fun !

Cheers Dave

18 comments:

  1. They look really nice! Knowing next to nothing about the WH40K, I'll take your word on the Vet stuff! ;)

    Are the markings on their face, tattoos or warpaint?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brian, to be honest GW changes the lore so often, at the time of writing anything it's probably out of date ! LOL The markings on the face are tattoos, part of my chapters initiation, it's a claw tattoo.

      Delete
  2. Smashing job Dave, tattoos as well - wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael, simple tattoo's as it's just three lines, I leave the complicated stuff to others ! LOL

      Delete
  3. Great work on these, Dave! I was wondering where the stances came from, so the Storm Speeder drop crew certainly answers the question and the choice makes them stand out - so perfect to mark out the vets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Azazael, had a stormspeeder that I'm using for something else, so didn't want to waste the crew, only required a little conversion work, to make them look right, mostly adding greenstuff to the base to make them look natural ! LOL may have to add some extra detail to the rest of the squad to tie them in when I get them.

      Delete
  4. Great looking scouts! Strangely enough I've just been painting some of these!
    Best Iain caveadsum1471

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain, I'm glad I like painting them, as I've done so many, and have more to go ! LOL Funny how we can end up painting the same thing at the same time totally organically, what chapter are you painting ?

      Delete
    2. I've just finished painting up some geriatric space Wolves scouts converted from the first plastic set with white Wolves hairy heads! I've just finished a small army for Xenos Rampant after they've been sitting almost finished for 15 years!
      Best Iain

      Delete
    3. At least they are now finished Iain, I think the only scout model I don't have in my army was the original plastic, but I have used most of the Space Wolf metals, except for the early sergeant that was covered in a wolf pelt ! LOL

      Delete
  5. good looking marines!
    😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stewart, as promised a safe post for you ! LOL Lot's more marines to come along the way as well ! LOL

      Delete
  6. Clever use of the Speeder Scouts, this is quite nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suber, I try to use all models where I can, especially if I've used the rest for something else ! LOL

      Delete
  7. John@justneedsvarnish22 March 2024 at 05:54

    Those look really good, Dave! :-) Sounds to me like GW get a bit over-prescriptive with things, so I like how you've added your own variations to distinguish them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John, as it's my chapter, I can pretty much do what I want to them ! LOL Tried to follow along with GW's colours and background before, but as they keep changing it, I decided going my own way, was what was right for me ! LOL

      Delete
  8. These look great, Dave! I have to confess, I've never been a fan of the Scouts as they're weaker than regular space marines and often look less impressive too. In more recent years, GW has upped their look so they must have heard my criticism! What I like about yours is how sneaky they look. That makes them seem much more convincing as a threat in the 40k universe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeff, the weaker status can be off putting, but imagine a tournament army with 88 models being put on the board, you see some very frightened faces ! LOL If you think these look sneaky wait until you see the next batch ! LOL

      Delete