Monday 1 January 2024

COLOURFUL CHARACTERS

 Happy 2024 to one and all, yes we have all made another rotation around the big glowing orb hopefully finishing a few of those models we need to get painted ! LOL

The two models I have today are new from Christmas this year, so haven't even allowed the dust to settle on these before getting them into paint, the first is Dexter Jettster who was seen working in a restaurant  on Corruscant in the film " Attack of the Clones" I'm going to use him as a chef, but as my games are on Tatooine he will just be a Besalisk chef. I did base the painting on the character from the movie, and have included a reference picture below.


This next one you may not have heard of as it is a Dowutin, they have appeared periodically, one was an Inquistor, in the comics and books, one was seen in the bar in the 7 th movie, and recently there was one in Bad Batch season 2 as a crime boss. For this model I will probably have him as a cargo worker, as the model fits this role well with the big crate on his shoulder.


Now this was where this post was going to end, but I have some new sculpts for the business that I really want to show, some spooky mirrors, the first one is the Reapers mirror, legend has it that if you look in the mirror, the reaper will tap out how many years you have left ( I think I'll pass, and wait for the surprise ! LOL)


Next is the Demon mirror, legend has it that if a demon is chasing you, you will be able to it's reflection behind yours, when you look in the mirror ( I think I'm good not knowing ! LOL)


Last is the mirror of the dead, legend has it that you can see people you have lost in the reflection one last time( this one would be useful)


There is already 8 people that have signed up for the painting challenge, but you still have time if you want to join in, okay now I'm done, so until next time stay safe and have fun !

Cheers Dave

16 comments:

  1. Great work, the paint jobs on the Star Wars characters are spot on. Love Dexter, I remember owning an action figure of him back in the day.
    The mirrors look fantastic too, very creative background stories.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you snapfit, I'd stopped collecting the action figures by the time the prequels came out so unfortunately never had that one, but nice to have him in miniature form though, and doesn't take up as much space as well ! LOL
      They were from a basic idea from a customer, and this was what I came up with, the back stories helped shape their look.
      Happy New Year to you to.

      Delete
  2. Oh, sir! I was to talk about the star wars minis, but the mirrors stole the show! Those are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suber, as you know I do like my Star Wars, but really like to think outside the box with my companies sculpts ! LOL

      Delete
  3. Terrific work on the two big Star Wars fellas, Dave. I always liked Dexter and how actor Ewan McGregor worked with the CGI in the scene - albeit I realise he was working with an actor too. But I also thought it showed how badly Lucas seemed to rely upon CGI characters, like Jar Jar too. I guess I'm just able to accept a puppet as real but not a totally CGI character. I can see why you're excited with the greenstuff mirrors - they must have a load of uses for the tabletop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon, Dex was definitely a fun character, with his back story as CGI has improved over the years, I guess it will become more common place, depending on a films budget, I think both forms CGI and puppets have their uses so I'm happy to watch either. The mirrors have been designed so they can be free standing or placed up against a wall, to make them as versatile as possible for the needs, if these prove popular I may do some more at a later date.

      Delete
  4. you already have painted miniatures that you got from Christmas???? insane. 😁

    nice job with everything. I would not look into any of the mirrors. All of them are cruel.
    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stewart, great to hear from you, hope you and the family had a great Christmas, and Happy New Year to you.
      I know insane isn't it, I have this bizarre idea of actually clearing some space on my desk, and we all know, it's just going to get filled with other models ! LOL
      The mirrors would probably get someone looking in them ! LOL

      Delete
  5. John@justneedsvarnish3 January 2024 at 03:50

    Really nice work on them all, Dave, but Dexter has to be my favourite! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John, He did come out well, shame the sculptor didn't have him scratching his butt like in the movie though ! LOL

      Delete
  6. Its great to see Dexter! He's one of the few characters I remember liking from Attack of the Clones. Those mirrors will look really nice painted up too. It will be a good challenge for you as mirror surfaces are not easy to paint as I learned on that raider a while back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeff, he was indeed a cool character in the film, if only for a brief time ! LOL I'm going to cast them in translucent blue, so have a trick in mind for the mirror surface, but will reveal all once I've got them done ( and if it works ! LOL)

      Delete
  7. Great work on the Star Wars minis. Dexter looks spot on. I think I recall seeing a Dowutin somewhere. I like the design and the mini looks good. Those mirrors are pretty awesome and would be some nice dungeon dressing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brian, was pleased with how they both turned out and how close I managed to get to the reference. The only live action appearance so far was in film 7, but have appeared in multiple comic book stories and the Bad Batch season 2.
      That's the idea for them, and they are designed so you can put them up against a wall, or have them free standing.

      Delete
  8. Great job on both of the Star Wars characters. I wasn't the greatest fan of most of the stuff in the prequels (1950's American diner on Coruscant? /eyeroll) but the look of Dexter as a model and then your paint on top are spot on. The mirror sculpts are both looking sweet as well here. Are these for a client or a personal project?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Azazael. I know what you mean, I think they went for things that would be familiar to people, so they didn't have to sit there wondering what they were ! LOL I really enjoyed painting both and trying to match the reference. The mirrors were a request from a client, that we have added to the range, and are cast in translucent blue, so it's possible to put images behind.

      Delete