Thursday 4 January 2024

ARCANE MAGIC

 I'm afraid I haven't managed to finish anything for the challenge this week as I've been busy with some customer painting, which I thought I'd show you all as well, first up is a Monolith, this is a 3D print which I've tried to imply different textures with the painting, so marble on top, stone at the bottom and a brass plaque.


Next is a wizard's desk and chair, these were also 3D prints, but had no texture for the wood, so I painted on the wood texture.


Next are some stacks of books, these are also 3D prints, and I have to say I found these extremely fiddly !


Next are some shelves with books or scrolls on them, luckily enough there was enough wood grain texture on these 3D prints.


Here we have another shelving unit, with a load of bottles and a crystal ball, I utilised the opaque nature of the prints, and used washes to simulate liquid inside.


Next are some simple tables and benches the texture worked well enough on these.


Last up for the sent items is a metal barrel, this took a lot more care getting the paint to stick being metal ! LOL


While doing this painting for my customer, I've also been making a couple of bits, the first is an Astrolabe, I had originally thought about making it moveable, but it proved a bit to tricky in this scale, and would have been more fragile, the whole piece is green stuff, except for the plasticard tile I started from, and the pin running down the centre.


Last up today is a telescope, this was a mixture of greenstuff and plasticard and tubes, I have included some construction pictures below.


That's all for todays post, hopefully by next week I can get some more challenge pieces done, so until next time stay safe and have fun !

Cheers Dave 

17 comments:

  1. I find all of them pretty useful, and I love how you worked on textures. Pretty cool results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suber, it's been fun to do, as it wouldn't be my normal area to work on, and always good to push myself, on different techniques.

      Delete
  2. great job! however did you get the illustrations on the book pages? dark magic? 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stewart, I used a fineline pen, as the books are very small, and I used pages from the Necronomicom from the Evil Dead films as inspiration ! LOL

      Delete
  3. That is a really nice set of scatter terrain, Dave! I'm sure the client will like what you've done. For me, the books are the highlight. Sure, you may have cheated by using a pen and not your brush, but hey, it got great results and really sets the mood too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeff, he is indeed happy with what has been shown. I know bit of a cop out with a pen, but wanted the best result for the client, and quickest too ! LOL

      Delete
  4. John@justneedsvarnish6 January 2024 at 09:00

    Crikey, Dave, these are all brilliant! :-) I'd have stopped short of even attempting the astrolabe in plasticard, so well done with that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John, I did think of plasticard for the astrolabe, but trying to run a pin all the way through would be a nightmare ! LOL

      Delete
  5. Everything looks great, particularly the wood texture on the table and chair. Your telescope fooled me too, I wouldn't have guessed that it was a scratch built model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SD, was time consuming to paint the wood grain but added a lot more to the flat surfaces that the print had. That is high praise indeed, unfortunately not something that would be easily cast, the same as the astrolabe, otherwise I would have added them to my range ! LOL

      Delete
  6. Fantastic work all around! The wooden texture turned out really nice and the illustrations in the books are impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you snapfit, they've been fun to work on, and definitely not my normal type of pieces, so fun to stretch the skill base.

      Delete
  7. Nice green stuff work there! I like the furnishing bits too. Though I'm afraid I'm having nightmare flashbacks from having painted a couple book shelves. Painting every individual book is such a pain. How did you do the interior pages of the books on the desk? Looks like pencil??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I see Stew had the same question about the books! Got it!

      Delete
    2. Thank you Brian, yes painting individual books can be very time consuming, but as that was what my client asked for, that's what I did. Yes fineline pen is a wonderful tool for this sort of work ! LOL

      Delete
  8. Excellent stuff once again - you could certainly set up a great roleplaying table with these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Azazael, I believe my client is using them for some specific scenarios in Frostgrave, but he may well have other plans for them as well ! LOL

      Delete