Wednesday 22 March 2023

TWICE THE LOVE ?

 As it turns out from a recent post, a lot of us like the Gonk Power Droid, but what about the Plunk Power Droid ? These were mainly seen in the Clone Wars cartoon, but also made an appearance in Star Wars Rebels, and more recently, in the Book of Boba Fett live action. You didn't see it ! hardly surprising as it was only there for a few seconds while Boba and Fennec tried to retrieve his Firespray, and was in the back of the shot. Here is what Wookiepedia has to say :

The PLNK-series power droid,[2] nicknamed the plunk droid for its distinctive sound,[8] was a heavy-duty power droid[9] that held tibanna gas.[10] It was manufactured by Industrial Automaton during the Clone Wars,[1] where they saw widespread use in the Republic Navy.[9]

As I am doing a lot for Jabba's Palace, I opted for painting mine the same as from the live action show, but at some point would like to paint up other variations.


Below are the greens, but I started with two Gonk droids as the basis, then added the relevant shapes to make it a Plunk Droid.


While busy making Greens I have been painting some other random mini's which I will hopefully have to show soon, so that's all for this post, so until next time stay safe and have fun !

Cheers Dave

18 comments:

  1. Power Droids are such a funny concept, but look so cool on-screen and on our tabletops. Great work as always Dave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dai, reminds me of the old Sci-Fi where everyone was a guy in a suit, just minus the floppy looking arms ! LOL

      Delete
  2. Oh, that looks familiar...I might have picked up on the unusual 4-legged 'Gone' droid while watching the show. I've never watched the cartoon, so that's the only place I would have really seen it. Nice job and congrats on getting him all sculpted up and painted! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a good spot Brian, I only caught it while rewatching the show for background information and details and concentrating on what wasn't the focus point ! LOL

      Delete
  3. I like the way you built this one. I guess it looks obvious... only once you see it done! Clever work and great paintjob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suber, I thought it would save a bit of time, unfortunately the grinding off of the front of one and the back of the other took longer than expected ! LOL

      Delete
  4. John@justneedsvarnish23 March 2023 at 04:46

    Nice work, Dave! :-) If you hadn't mentioned, or shown the construction pictures, I wouldn't have realised how you made it! Neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John, probably counts as a conversion, and definitely not a scratch build ! LOL Was another one of those oh look a different droid should have at least one of those ! LOL

      Delete
  5. Great stuff mate, as you know I love power droids of all varieties, and you've done a bang up job of this conversion.

    Strangely I seem to think I saw one of these four legged wonders in something only recently? But not sure what as I've seen episodes of the Mandalorian, Bad Batch and even a couple of early episodes of Rebels so ity could have been any of them.😁

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roger, I remember you are partial to a power droid, but wasn't sure if you liked this type ! LOL
      Out of the shows listed there, the only one that has a listed appearance is Rebels, but then again lists aren't always accurate or up to date ! LOL

      Delete
  6. It’s a nice creation. I just learned a lot about droids. I’ll forget it immediately. I have little brain. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stewart, I know the feeling, but mine is due to the medication I have to take, what was I saying ? LOL

      Delete
  7. Great job on the latest Gonk droid, Dave! You can't have too many of these little guys bumbling around a place, I reckon. Everybody needs a bit of power once in a while after all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeff, and my thoughts exactly, the board should be littered with droids of all type, and as you say who doesn't need a bit of extra power ! LOL

      Delete
  8. From the initial photographs, I didn't think it was a conversion - your skills still amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe, that is very high praise indeed, and I am humbled by the comments.

      Delete
  9. Great stuff on this oversized Power Bank, Dave! Conversion looks great - not something I'd have ever thought of doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Azazael, kept seeing them, and thought it would be cool to have one, and had a pair of normal power droids sat waiting for paint right next to each other, which was when I had the idea to combine them, funny how we spot things by accident ! LOL

      Delete