Thursday 2 February 2023

WOULD YOU LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT THING !

 Firstly I'd like to apologise for not being my normal self and replying quickly to your comments, or commenting on your blogs as quickly as I normally would, but I was too ill to get out of bed at the beginning of the week, it wasn't anything serious just a cold, but on top of the Fibro it knocked me for six. But happy to report feeling better and able to function at my normal level now.

So a while ago Azazael asked what system was I using for my space battles for Star Wars, to which I replied I wasn't, as none gave me everything I wanted. Then fast forward a couple of months, and Stewart wrote a really good article about his choices for spaceship combat ( tllw check out his blog for his fantastic Klingon fleet), which got me thinking about what I wanted, I wanted a system that a handful of fighters could make a difference, but also having large capitol ship battles as well. Neither of the two systems that are currently available gave me what I want, so the rules I'm going to have to do myself, not a problem, I'll just add it to the list ! LOL so to ships, neither system scales their ships properly, so if I wanted to go right up to a Super Stardestroyer then I needed to go the route of the Armada models, now this did mean that a lot of the smaller ships aren't available, but as they are so small I could always make some proxies. So today's showing is the test pieces for my Imperial fleet, first up is the standard TIE fighter, the small ships come unpainted, and normally sit 3 fighters to a single stand, so I've separated them out.


Next we have my favourite the TIE Interceptor.


Next is the slow but devastating TIE Bomber


The next one is the TIE Advance, for me that means Darth Vader's TIE ! LOL


Now with so many TIE Advance, I didn't need I thought I'd see if i could convert them into Inquisitors TIE Advance.


Next we have the TIE Defender, which made it's small screen debut in Star Wars Rebels.


The last fighter is the TIE Phantom, these can cloak, should make life interesting !


These two are Decimators, need to read up on these, as I've not seen them in any of the shows.


Last today a trio of Lambda Shuttles.


Now I have a few more I need to get painted, plus some other ships as well, so expect to see them soon, but hopefully next time I'll have my first Fembruary challenge model, so until next time stay safe and have fun !

Cheers Dave

18 comments:

  1. So each fighter actually represents a squadron?

    Regardless am excited to see the rest of the fleet! Armada was an ok rules set but some thing about the lack of depth ended up turning me off the game and I sold my fleet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dai, each fighter will represent just one fighter, so they all count individually rather than squadrons, just makes it a lot cheaper than buying the X-Wing ships, for the cost of one ship I get 24 ships instead ! LOL Already working on the rules, that will hopefully make for some very thematic results, as who doesn't want a rebel pilot taking out a bridge of a star destroyer as a final act of valour ! LOL

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear you caught a cold, but glad to hear you are on the mends and it wasn't something worse! The ships look so tiny and it will be interesting to see them next to the larger ones. Do you have to have a lot of the smaller fighters for the game? Trying to imagine 30 of those things all around the game mat. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brian, feeling a lot better now, and hate that a simple cold can effect me so much ! LOL They are very small indeed, but should look very effective on mass, so far I've only got 6 of each type, but shouldn't take too long to build up large fleets of fighters, the bigger ships will come as I build up the fleets.

      Delete
  3. Pleased to hear you're feeling better, Dave. Spookily, I was going to contact you earlier to see if you were okay (as I'd spotted you'd gone silent), but then you commented on my own website. Love the tiny Star Wars figs - I have some Armada stuff myself somewhere. Never thought to separate them out as I seem to recall them coming in groups really put me off. I might have to dig them out now, LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon, always try to prewarn if possible, but this was unexpected ! LOL My thoughts were you could fit a lot of ships on a small board at this scale, but if you make the effect of the small ships count, then you get more for your buck, the detail on these small ships was surprising, and only had to rely on paint to add detail on the inside of the wings.

      Delete
  4. Glad to know you feel better, and fascinated by these tiny beauties. I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suber, I'm looking forward to the Rogues and villains pack that has some very familiar craft in it ! LOL

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the shout out. 😀
    The fighters look really good. Nice idea to pull off the figs from the Armada bases.
    I’ve found that space rules tend to focus on fighters or capital ships: which suits me fine as my idea of Star Trek is the capital ships. Not many fighters in the universe. I’m more into the concept of ships of the line but in spaaaace. 😀
    Good luck with your rule writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stewart, you are most welcome as it is a gorgeous Klingon fleet. Your not wrong on the rulesets being either based around fighters or capitol ships, just want something that represents the films, so will have to go my own way ! LOL

      Delete
  6. Hi Dave, it's been a while since I've perused your blog but you are turning out some amazing stuff, hats off to you. The Frostgrave scenery is excellent, I liked the pee in the snow, sorry your client preferred some blood and bones. The stormtroopers are excellent, I always think of them as being in pristine white but I only watched the first 6 films and only really enjoyed the first 3 so that is still how I remember them, but how you painted them is really good.
    I'm impressed with your enthusiasm long may it continue.
    Take care
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John, always a pleasure to have you drop by. Glad you've enjoyed the Frostgrave scenery, and we all have a different sense of humour, so was happy to change it for the client. Indeed Stormtroopers are best remembered for their pristine armour, just wanted to represent the Tatooine look with mine. Enthusiasm is not normally a problem, enough hours in the day is another matter ! LOL

      Delete
  7. Seems we're all under the weather at the moment, 2023 isn't starting that well, lets hope it gets better! Glad your on the mend though mate.

    As too the ships they are lovely, and so small, I've never played Armada thought the ships are really nice, played a bit of X Wing though and that is great fun (I'm cr*p at it though and always get my bum kicks by my lads!).

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roger, the first couple of months are normally the worst for health, but if we survive through that it normally gets better, at least this year I didn't have to drink my coffee through a straw ! LOL
      Watched a few games of X-Wing, and thought it was enjoyable, not even going to look at the Armada rules, as they seem like most capitol ship systems where fighters are treated like ordinance, so hopefully I can come up with something that meets in the middle.

      Delete
  8. First off, be careful linking to Stew's site. Its a real hive of scum and villainy over there! :) Second, I'm glad you're feeling better! There's nothing worse than getting sick enough that it keeps you from doing what you enjoy.

    These tiny ships came out really nicely and I'll be curious to hear what rules you settle on. It ain't Star Wars without some space ships so I reckon you're on the right track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeff, Klingons aren't so bad, just a little misunderstood ! LOL Indeed it just drives me nuts that a simple cold can have such a large effect on me now ! LOL
      It's very different painting in such a small scale, and having to really on washes to do detail, hopefully the rules can give the thematic results I'm looking for

      Delete
  9. If, as I suspet, the bases are 20mm diameter then these are tiny indeed and wonderful for all that. I think there will be rules out there that could be used, but writing your own is the way I'd go too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe, you are spot on with the size of the base. I have multiple rules from previous space battles, but none really do what I want, so going my own way, was the easy solution ( I hope ! LOL)

      Delete