Friday 16 December 2022

SO CLOSE, YET SO FAR

 


First I'd like to wish all my followers, commenters, and visitors a very Merry Christmas. I know it's an old banner but my daughter has been very busy with a house move, so I didn't want to ask for a new one at this time.

Today I have the Beatmasters to show, this sub cult of the Wyches isn't finished as I still need to do some of the beasts, but will save them for Monster May(hem). First up is the Beastmaster that I finnished some time ago, and below her is a unit of Kyhmerae, the models were originally Warp Beasts, but GW changed the name and the model in the second edition codex, but I wasn't going to get rid of perfectly nice models.


Next I have the second Khymerae Beastmaster, I need to get a unit of beasts for this one, but finding the original models or a suitable replacement is proving difficult, so may end up having to sculpt 5 of them, have included a picture of a GW model below so you can see what they should look like.


The next two Beastmasters, are both going to have a Clawed Fiend as their beast, I will be making both of these, as I wasn't a fan of the GW one, and they are ridiculous prices in the second hand market.


The last Beastmaster is for the Razorwing flock, I've added a couple of feathers to her hair, and some small bird skulls to her skyboard.


Now Razorwings have been around since the time of Rogue Trader (1 st edition) as part of the Fauna list you could use, and a picture of them below.


In the 2 nd edition Dark Eldar codex you could have these as part of your beast packs, and GW eventually released these models.


By the time GW had released the models I'd already gone a different route, and used the birds from Skaw the falconer as my basis, as seen below.


In the rules you can have two stands per beastmaster, and there was a passage in the Codex that I thought would make an interesting piece.

A well trained Razorwing flock will parade their bloodslicked and skeletal prize around and above their masters before tearing it apart in one final, savage feeding frenzy.

With that passage in mind I created this stand.


That's all for this post today, so until next time stay safe and have fun !

Cheers Dave

26 comments:

  1. Excellent stuff, Dave. The Razorwings are particularly striking, especially with your choice of bases for them - great idea. Merry Christmas :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon, and Merry Christmas to you to. The Beastmasters were originally going to be my Hellion Skyboarders, as I wasn't keen on the first edition models, but when I got the new Hellions, I moved these over. The Razorwings are my favourite out of the bunch as well, and i feel they look more like a flock than the GW version.

      Delete
  2. John@justneedsvarnish16 December 2022 at 05:26

    All very nicely done Dave! :-) The last one is quite grisly but fits in with the dialogue well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John, the skyboards actually came from a toy, which I then added the engine from the original skyboard and some nozzles under the fans. Your not wrong on the grisly luckily the bird is covering all the dropping intestines ! LOL

      Delete
  3. John@justneedsvarnish16 December 2022 at 05:27

    . . . and hope you have a great Christmas (almost forgot)! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely set of figures mate, the birds as has been said being the stand out models, perhaps they mistook the dangling intestines for worms? ๐Ÿ˜ (perhaps not).

    Though I have to say I was a little disappointed after I read "Beastmaster" and then never saw anyone who looked like Marc Singer! ๐Ÿ˜

    Have a great Christmas matey.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roger, hope you have a great Christmas, and not too many models from your son to paint ! LOL
      The birds were a fun project to do and was pleased with the end result, with these birds any flesh would be a target ! LOL
      Was it you were disappointed not to see Marc Singer, or Tanya Roberts ! LOL

      Delete
    2. Well I really can't speak for Tanya...oh I see what you mean ๐Ÿ˜ I was of course a great admirer of Tanya's acting ability, she did some fine work in Sheena too of course ๐Ÿ˜‰.

      To be honest though I do actually really like the original Beastmaster movie, how did we get on to this again?

      Oh yes lovely figures mate. ๐Ÿ˜€

      Delete
    3. She did have some big parts over the years ! LOL
      The original Beastmaster was great, shame about the follow on's ! LOL

      Delete
  5. I like your use f varying the prime colours (emerald green and red - veyr Xmassy) but the flying critters around their master takes the biscuit,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe, purely accidental on the Xmas'y colours ! LOL One of those moments of genius or insanity ! LOL

      Delete
  6. No Podo? No Codo? I see a missed opportunity there. :P

    Flippin love that last pic! Great visual for sure. Well done Dave.

    Merry Crimble to you and yours. Hope Santa graces you with some fun hobby presents this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dai, I think they will have to be the names of the clawed fiends when they are done ! LOL
      It was certainly a challenge to get all the birds to stay attached ! LOL
      Have a great Christmas mate, my inlaws are pretty good on that front ! LOL Hope you get all you want to.

      Delete
    2. Funny you should mention that. Hobby Santa was indeed kind to me! I bought (My gift from my wife LOL) the beginnings of a new WW2 army to start painting next year. Can't complain. :)

      Delete
    3. At least you know you'll like it ! LOL My wife took my wish list earlier in the year, so I should be good ! LOL

      Delete
  7. Quite interesting choices here. The skyboards look ace, and the whole job is great, but that last pic is a show stealer! Fantastic work. Merry Christmas to you and your beloved ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suber, was pleased with the end result and nice to finally have them finished . Hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas.

      Delete
  8. Merry Dark Eldar Christmas, to you too! The latest models look great and ready to spread some X-Mas cheer! Those birds look like something out Hitchcock's imagination. Great work all around and I hope you and your family have a great festive period!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeff, hopefully I can do justice on the remaining beasts to finish it all off. Hope you and your good lady have a wonderful Christmas.

      Delete
  9. Poor old guardsman even if it is a nice touch Dave ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜Š a very Merry Christmas to you and your family mate ๐ŸŽ„

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Frank, guardsmen are so easy to this to, as the zombie parts stick straight on, and a lot less filling ! LOL Hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas.

      Delete
  10. Always great to come back to your blog Dave, fabulous work and happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael, you are definitely missed during term time. Hope you and your good lady have a wonderful Christmas.

      Delete
  11. The Beastmaster gliders look pretty cool. And l like what you were able to do with the falcons! Hope you and yours have a Merry Christmas as well! Hard to believe it's only a few days away! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brian, I'm hoping the last beasts will be as good when I get them done in May. Hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas.

      Delete