Monday 12 December 2022

DAARK RISING

 

The Khornate champion swung at Kaleb with his axe, it was clumsy and predictable, Kaleb easily dodged the blow and brought Dreadaxe down on the champions head where his axe bit deep and drank the soul of the champion. The fight had been short as Kaleb suckered the champion in pretending not to notice his loud approach, even a beastman would have heard his heavy footsteps, and they're not the brightest creature in the region.

As Dreadaxe finished sucking out the soul, Kaleb felt the call of his master Malal, he moved swiftly to a more secure area, were he could perform the ritual to summon his master without fear of a surprise attack. He set down and performed the ritual as he had done so many times before, and soon his master appeared before him.

"You have done well Kaleb, dispatching so many twisted souls for me, since entering the Northern Wastes."

"There are many more to be dispatched though, and their numbers seem to be increasing."

"Aye the allure of the ruinous powers is strong, and can corrupt the hearts of men easily, but I have a new task for you."

"Where do you want to send me now ? Lustria ?"

" No, somewhere a lot further than that, Falcos VI"

" Is that an Empire outpost ?"

" No it's a world in the Eastern Fringes of Space"

" What !"

"Kaleb, there is so much that your little mind does not know or understand, just know that this is my bidding and you need to do as you are told."

" And how do I get to this OTHER WORLD FLY ?"

" Tomorrow you will head deeper into the wastes and will find a portal, this will transport you to your destination, once there I will contact you again and give you more instructions."

" Which of the powers am I hunting this time ?"

" The Prince of Pleasure, but you will need some new equipment, to complete this mission."

A blue light formed into a bubble, and then dissipated, leaving a large pile of equipment.

" I have a new set of Chaos armour that will make it easier to blend in on this world, I have also replaced your broken shield with a Plasma Pistol, and as a transport you have a bike."

" I hope this pistol is more reliable than the Empire ones, but I'd rather have a horse than that thing !Don't they use horses where your sending me ?"

"They do but the bike is faster, but as you wish, a new steed will be with you by Morning, I suggest you get adjusted to your new armour, as it might be a bit of a shock ! 

Malal bellowed a laugh.

Above is just a short story to give a reason on why Kaleb Daark would be in the 40K universe, and why would I do that, well I thought it would be fun to have him in some 40K games, and as such created a model for him. It took a while to find the relevant parts to make him from, the horse came from the old Archahon model, the backpack was from Doomrider, some plastic chaos pieces, and the head was from a space marine veteran sergeant. then some details were added with greenstuff, like the long half of his hair, Dreadaxe, and some other little details.


Kept the colours similar to the original art, so mostly black and white, I liked the cracked earth base that came with the horse, as it looked like the earth was corrupting against his presence and added in a molten lava effect. That's all for this post, so until next time stay safe and have fun !

Cheers Dave

22 comments:

  1. Excellent kitbash and conversion work with the green-stuff, Dave. I vaguely seem to remember Kaleb Daark from the comics - was he in the GW black & white weekly they used to publish..? Anyway, he looks a real beast, and upon that mount must tower above the infantry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon, he does have a good height over the troops, so should look suitably imposing ! LOL The comic strip was long before any proper comic books, he appeared in the very early Citadel Journal, and Citadel Compendium, when they had scenarios card buildings, and catalogue releases in them

      Delete
    2. Ah... Well I certainly recall owning the First Citadel Compendium as that had the goat warrior (Broo..?) on the cover and I read that to death - its remains might still be in the loft somewhere, LOL!!! Don't think I ever got the Citadel Journal though.

      Delete
    3. That was part 2 of the story, as I recall, the Journal before had the scenario of siege of the Liche Priest, and one of the characters was Mikael Jackson, which was a skeleton champion with a flaming skull. Still got both of those but lost episode 3 which was a shame.

      Delete
  2. That's spot on! Love that you put this guy together and it's such a fun idea too. I played with the idea of putting together a small 40K force dedicated to Malal some years ago but decided "no", too much black and white to paint. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dai, I also played with that idea, was going to do the Sons of Malal, and the armour was halved, half bone half black, but then went off 40K for a while so never got further than painting a warp talon ! LOL Don't think I'll go back to it, just use Kaleb as a single piece that can join in my campaign, maybe helping my Night Hawks defeat my Emperors Children, lots of possibilities ! LOL

      Delete
  3. Another wonderful conversion and use of various kit parts.It's that I can't tell i's a conversion that still astounds me.
    I do like the black and white choice of colours with just a splash of colour, really effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe, it has worked against me in the past, as I've been marked zero for conversions at competitions as the judges couldn't spot them ! LOL The colours needed to tie in with the original, so was limited on where I could add pops of colour, but glad it worked.

      Delete
  4. That's a more than nice rendition of such an iconic character. Really well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suber, it's good when crazy ideas work out ! L:OL

      Delete
  5. Lovely conversion! A biting axe? Now that's a proper Chaos weapon! :D
    Also great backstory, I really enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Snapfit, Dreadaxe first appeared in the early 80's and was effectively a living weapon, although the first to do this was 2000 ad in the Dan Dare story, where he had a living axe, back in the 70's

      Delete
  6. Yep another lovely bit of conversion work mate, I really can't tell it's a conversion, perhaps you need to start adding pictures of WIP's so we know your not cheating! 🤣🤣🤣

    Nice bit of history too, and the story putting him into the 40K universe was great too.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roger, I'll try and remember to take some more of my blurry pics before adding paint for you ! LOL Glad you liked the short story and history behind the character, hopefully when I put in some games I can add to that as well.

      Delete
  7. John@justneedsvarnish16 December 2022 at 05:21

    Very nice Dave! :-) I don't know anything about the figure but I do like it, particularly the contrasting black and white regions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John, I wouldn't worry as most current Fantasy players would have no idea who he is either ! LOL The black and white works really well with such a limited palette

      Delete
  8. Great work on this project, Dave! This guy absolutely looks like a follower of Khorne and a pretty dangerous one at that! If there is one thing Games Workshop could do more of, its having more variety in their chaos sculpts so I'm glad you created this guy to show them what that miniature line is missing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeff, unfortunately GW seem very set in their ways especially for the four main powers, and undivided, so it's unlikely we'll ever see much different from them, will be down to us hobbyists to show them how it's done ! LOL

      Delete
  9. Nice looking mini! And for whatever reason, I seem to really like the way horse minis look, even if I'm not all that crazy about horses in real life. They are good animals, just have no desire to own one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brian, I like painting horses which is mad as I don't paint a lot of Fantasy anymore, so this was a good excuse ! LOL Have ridden a few horses, and there is a lot of power there, so always need to be wary ! LOL

      Delete