Monday 2 October 2023

CLEAN UP

 This was originally going to be my post for Friday, but needed to set the challenge, and before I get my first post done for Apocalypse Me, it's a good idea to clear any backlog. A while back my friends at Minaturemen sent me some Star Wars figures, along with some casting I am doing for them ( more on that when it goes up). There was an assortment of miniatures including one that will fit in for Movember, but in there was two members of the Black Sun syndicate, as I didn't have any for this syndicate, this was a great start for it, they are basic troopers, and I've gone with the colour scheme from "The Clone Wars" cartoon series, I've included a reference picture below.


One of the other models in there was Luke Skywalker in Hoth fatigues, even though I'm not doing Hoth at the moment, it was a fun distraction, the only addition I did to the model was using a translucent rod for the lightsabre.


Last today is a picture that was requested by Jeff on one of my recent posts, where he asked if I could show the big scale marine next to a regular gaming one.


For anyone who might have missed it Roger has the roundup of the Ogre painting challenge up on his blog rantingsfromunderthewargamestable and if you haven't got yours posted up yet, just send Roger a link once you've posted it up, so he can include yours to.

In other news Simon over at https://www.fantoricalwargaming.com/ is running Zomtober this year, so if you want to get double recognition for your Apocalypse Me submissions, pop on over and sign up.

That's all for this post, next time some scenery, so until then, stay safe and have fun !

Cheers Dave

14 comments:

  1. Whoa! I'm glad Roger asked for a scale pic. I had no idea how much larger that Marine was, crazy! Was the Commissar the same size? Also, you can never go wrong with more SciFi/Star Wars mini in my opinion. That Luke one is really nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brian, not the largest Forgeworld did, but they are a fair size, the commissar is just a little shorter, so bigger scale as it's just his head and shoulders effectively. Star Wars posts are never far away on here ! LOL Luke was a fun distraction, as I am not working on that aspect at the moment, but still wanted to put in my best effort.

      Delete
  2. Black Sun goons are very nice and true to the cartoon for sure. Have to say though, that I was a little disappointed seeing their uniformity after reading Shadows of the Empire and other novels back in the day with Black Sun inferences - they never came across as a "uniformed" force to me?

    Hoth Luke looks fab! I think that is my fav version of Luke, even more than black pajamas Jedi Knight Luke.

    I'd forgotten just how large those Marine statues were! What's their official scale? 1/20? 1/16?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dai, can understand your thoughts on the uniformity of the goons, as we are so used to the eclectic goons of the Hutt's, with the cartoons it's easier to have the same template, and copy and paste ! LOL
      It's definitely the most interesting of his outfits, and challenging to paint ! LOL
      As for the scale I have no idea on what it's official scale is, and don't actually remember seeing it anywhere.

      Delete
  3. Everything is so great in this post! So different yet so personal, I love it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suber, I do like to vary things for my readers ! LOL

      Delete
  4. I've not seen any of the Black Sun syndicate figs before, but judging from your excellent paint-jobs, I can see why they're popular within the Star Wars fanbase. Nice Luke Skywalker too - I think the lightsabre swap is a very good idea.

    Thanks for the shout-out Ref Zomtober - hopefully between us we can whip up some enthusiasm for a somewhat ailing annual challenge which I really used to look forward to. I forgot to ask on your last post whether you wanted a link on the Roll Call I'll be posting for the next few weeks - that way we can keep viewers clicking all the cool blog links until their heads are spinning, LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon, I think they came out over a year ago, and haven't got round to getting the box set yet, which these two will add to when I do, as long as I remember how I painted them ! LOL I like the effect of the translucent rods over straight painting the plastic, although I will need to get a restock of the rod at some point ! LOL
      By all means link across, but I'm mostly going to be focused on scenery this year, and don't know if that count's in Zomtober, will have to try and fit in a zombie as well ! LOL

      Delete
  5. John@justneedsvarnish5 October 2023 at 15:01

    As always, Dave, very nice Star Wars figures! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John, something a bit different again ! LOL

      Delete
  6. Those Black Sun agents came out really nicely. They're a bit underrated in Star Wars I'd say! Luke looks ready to fight off a wampa or two as well :)

    Thanks for the comparison photo on the marines. That big marine really is a lot larger as it turns out. I'd guess it is around 75mm scale though I'm not the best at judging such things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeff, they haven't had much air time in the movies or series, hopefully they'll get more in the future, and develop them up a bit more. Luke was a fun distraction, and should be more than ready for anything on Hoth.
      You're spot on on the scale, so a lot more flat surfaces to bend the colours on ! LOL

      Delete
  7. I've no idea who/what the Black Sun syndicate guys are but they look ace in that grey/yellow/purple scheme! Luke looks ready to take on a wampa, and as for that huge Space Marine thanks for reminding me that I still have to paint the 7" one I got for Christmas in 2020 LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt, the Black Sun haven't had as much air time as the Hutt's or Pyke's so less well known, he is probably ready for most things, maybe not car accidents though ! LOL There's always another project that needs finishing ! LOL

      Delete