Continuing on with Market street, this week I've finished the rug displays to go in the front of the ruined building. I would have liked to get the canopy done at the same time, but as yet still can't find where my cotton material for doing them has gone, with everything being out of my room at the moment ! LOL Hopefully soon, then I can get on with a lot of unfinished bits, plus photograph with proper backgrounds.
The stands were made from balsa wood, and the rolled up rugs were plastic rod, with a layer of greenstuff over them, with texture added. The texture comes from the reverse side of a piece of leatherette, shown below.
The opened rug, was a piece of greenstuff rolled out, and textured with a piece of breeze block which has a great airated texture
So what's the grand plan with all these bits, this !
No not the entire city, I know I'm mad, but I'm not criminally insane ! LOL No I want to be able to do sections of the city, so if you look top right you can see the cantina, and it's surrounding streets, or you have the large grey Imperial compound, that would be bigger than a 6 foot by 4 foot board. Then you have the rusty rebel transporter and surrounding streets on the left, and I've already done the transporter. Ideally I would like to be able to have all the sections, but storing that would be insane, so having bits I can use again and again, with some characterful pieces will do. So this should keep me busy for quite some time ! LOL
That's all for today, so until next time, stay safe, and have fun !
Cheers Dave

Very cool ideas to use those textured things to add important and VERY believable detail to the rugs.
ReplyDeleteAs to seeing that pic of the Mos Eisley map..... yeah, you're going to need a garage by itself to store all that were you to make it and then a football field sized hall to lay it all out!
Thank you Dai, I thought it would be good to show household items can be used just as well, as expensive rollers.
DeleteI know my wife is patient and understanding, but doing the whole city would be grounds for divorce ! LOL plus I don't have a football pitch sized hall ! ROFL
Those rugs are fantastic! This is a fun project to follow, if you need extra room to store stuff I have a really big garage... but shipping overseas might be a bit much!
ReplyDeleteThank you Grimmleigh's Fiends, once everything gets moved back in to my room I'll have a very large shed for storing bits, as the shipping would be brutal ! LOL But thank you for the offer.
DeleteThose rugs turned out really well. The texture is spot-on, I'd say. I can see people wanting rugs like that because they match the overall look of Tatooine as well. I like your approach to the terrain and focusing on making certain sections or iconic portions of Mos Eisely. I'm trying to do a similar thing with Fallout. Doing a couple things really well is always more impressive than trying to do a bunch of different things decently, I reckon!
ReplyDeleteThank you Jeff, I've seen rugs in several places in Tatooine, so had a rough idea what I wanted without being specific, and have laid a few rugs and carpets in my time, so knew the sort of texture for the reverse. Some of the buildings I will make will be generic enough that they will work in multiple areas of the city. I look forward to seeing how your Fallout scenery develops, and always happy to help with advice whenever you need it mate .
DeleteThat's looking fantastic!
ReplyDeleteThank you Michal, small details can really bring areas to life.
DeleteWhat a little gem of a piece, I love it Dave. May have spent far too long looking at that ast picture of the streets.
ReplyDeleteThank you Michael, that last picture can really suck you in can't it ! LOL
DeleteLove the rugs, as with all your Star Wars stuff it's so evocative of the films.
DeleteI'll be referencing a lot of this if/when I get around to my 'Gangs of Tatooine' project.
Inspirational!
Thank you misterc, glad I can portray a Star Wars feel, even if there isn't a single point of reference for it. By all means reference for your own project, and any questions feel free to ask.
DeleteThanks, I will.
DeleteStar Wars feel is exactly what I'm looking for.
No problem at all.
DeleteWhat a nice work! The texture really feels in and it adds quite a visual effect. I once made a rug merchant for my town, but simply printed some designs -your results are indeed much better! Enormously enjoyable!
ReplyDeleteThank you Suber, I remember your stall, and it looked fantastic mate, as does your whole town, hopefully my boards will look half as good I'll be happy.
DeleteLooking at them, I actually thought you'd rolled up material to create the rugs rather than sculpt them! They all look really good! :-)
ReplyDeleteThank you John, that is high praise indeed, shows how a good texture can really sell a sculpt ! LOL
Delete