Monday 25 April 2022

ALL BY MYSELF

 One of the interesting aspects of The Lost and the Damned army list, is the aspiring champions, GW wrote :

Not all Chaos Space Marines choose to remain with their Legion eternally. Personal ambition, vendetta's, jealousies, rivalries or the commands of their patrons may set their feet on a very different path. It is easy enough for such powerful warriors to quickly rise to the role of war chief, tyrant or despot to the lesser minions of Chaos.

As one HQ choice you can take 3 aspiring champions, and before the battle attach them individually to units of traitor guard or mutants. As these champions are more individual than normal I wanted to make sure each model looked unique, I took models from 3 different routes as the basis. The first one started out as a Chaos Lord model, I gave it a head swap, using a first edition Raptor head, which I then added a doom siren to, I also used a noise marine champion backpack.


The second one was made from the plastic aspiring champion pieces from the squad box set, with the addition of a raptor head with additional doom siren, and noise marine champion backpack, I also added some spirit faces on some of the black sections of the armour, they are quite subtle and look better in hand.

The last aspiring champion, started as a Raptor champion, the head had a doom siren added, the pistol came from the original Kharn model, and the sword arm was from a chaos biker, the backpack came from the possessed box set, for variation.


I also made a sorcerer, as this would give me the option of turning enemy models into spawn as explained last time, I started with an old sorcerer model, which I added a mark 2 noise marine head, I decided to make the left hand casting a spell, using a plastic arm, and the backpack came from the possessed box set as well.


Currently working on a unit of 30 mutants, 15 traitor guard, and two units of 10 cultists, so that's all for this post, so until next time stay safe and have fun !

Cheers Dave

20 comments:

  1. Three very 'busy' models, with a great deal of inticate detailing, no doubt added to by your addtions - allof which makes for three very individual pieces and great eye-candy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe, a lot of the detail was already there on these, but I did add some, more on the second two than the first one. Glad the individuality worked out on them.

      Delete
  2. Splendid looking aspiring champions, nice detailing!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain, thankfully a lot was already there, and I only had to add a few bits.

      Delete
  3. I have no idea what an aspiring champion is (except of course that he aspires to be a champion 😉). But the models look great, didn't know there were that many different backpacks for a start! You have been busy, you're really churning these out at the moment!

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roger, in squads an aspiring champion is the equivalent to having a sergeant in the squad, effectively a leader, in the solo form closer to a tyrant or dictator. Depending on which boxset you look at there are loads of different back packs, then if you go back earlier there are some other variations as well ! LOL

      Delete
  4. They all are cool, but the Sorcerer is particularly awesome. It's fantastic how a head swap can make this mini change so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suber, it's amazing how a small change can make such a difference to a model.

      Delete
  5. Like Suber says, so cool how a head swap and the addition of the doom sirens changes the model's looks so much. Great stuff Dave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dai, indeed sometimes the smallest conversions can give the best results, and a unique look, the added bonus of course is I actually start using all the bits I've got ! LOL Once these armies are finished I may need to have a clear out of the bits drawers again

      Delete
  6. Absolutely loving these, Dave, you've really done Fulgrim's finest proud! I'm also amazed at how something as simple as a different head or backpack can make a huge change to the overall look of the model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt, feels good to finally have them finished to be honest. Indeed even just repositioning an arm cam make a huge difference to a model, and change it from static to dynamic

      Delete
  7. Wonderful work Dave, I think this codex had a big influence on how the army lists for chaos were done in FW's Seige of Varks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Frank, indeed the Forgeworld Traitor guard were excellent sculpts, and far better than the spikey Cadian conversions they had in the codex, and the new Blackstone Fortress models

      Delete
  8. Those are some great looking conversions. I wouldn’t want to meet one of those in a dark alley. Or any alley really. Probably best avoided all together.

    -Stew
    (I’m stuck being anonymous. I dunno why)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stewart, I think you may be right, as they would be just as deadly in broad daylight ! LOL
      For some reason if looking on mobile devices, it keeps logging you out, I now only check on the PC as it doesn't log me out.

      Delete
  9. These all came out great, Dave! I really like the sorcerer with his weird face mask that Emperor's Children favor and the pink flames on his coat. That pretty much nails this faction in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeff, the EC do indeed have some of the most bizarre looks of any of the Legions, but do make them one of the more unique looking armies to take.

      Delete
  10. John@justneedsvarnish1 May 2022 at 14:49

    Nicely done, Dave! :-) I think the third champion you've shown is my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John, I do like that too, as his armour is very unique, have I influenced you into a pink army yet ? LOL

      Delete