Wednesday 14 April 2021

A FEW FIGURES MORE

 I've managed to finish the last of the orc's on foot and all the dwarves now, leaving the mounted orc's and the six new characters I've made (but Dave you've only shown 5 ! Indeed the sixth will be a bit of a surprise).


First up is the last two Orc's on foot, the one on the left has a Mexican feel about him, so went with a simple townsmen colour scheme, the Orc on the right was made by Gary, utilising some parts from the previous sculpt's and then extra work from him.


These next two I see spending most of they're time in the Saloon, being a barmen and a saloon girl, so I wanted the bases to represent this, I was going to use some of the bases I produce with floorboard detail, but the models wouldn't come of the basic bases I'd glued them to, so in the end I painted the bases to look like floorboards.


Last today are the remaining Dwarves, with an assortment of cowboys and a Bandito on the right. One of the things we discussed when doing the dwarf sculpts is should they all have beards, as this is often how they're depicted, we decided to do a mix of different facial hair that fitted with the wild west theme, and the occasional long beard.

All of these count towards Ann's paint the crap you already own painting challenge

That's all for this post, expect more Weird Wild West to come, until May where I start on Monster May(hem) which if you haven't signed up yet follow the link, and join in.

So until next time stay safe and have fun !

Cheers Dave

17 comments:

  1. Excellent offerings in this post Dave! The Mexican theme'd sculpts are my fav's and I love the differing facial hair styles - not every dwarf has to look like a short Norse god! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O and I wish I could get in on some of that Monster Mayhem action as I have all sorts of nasty large figs to get painted up. O well, next year. Looking forward to seeing what lands on your paint station!

      Delete
    2. Thank you Dai, we left the moustache off the orc, but kept it on the dwarf, fully agree they should have whatever facial hair they desire ! LOL
      Sorry to hear you won't be able to participate, but as you say there is always next year

      Delete
  2. Great stuff again, Dave! The dwarfs look wonderfully Western and the saloon staff are great, loads of character in two little minis. I do love those orcs though, they're suitably menacing as a couple of bandits and the fact they're orcs in Wild West clothing doesn't look odd at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt, indeed if you can except fantasy based creatures, it's not a massive leap to a fantasy based wild west. Glad the western look is easily noticeable across the range, they have been a fun project to work on.

      Delete
  3. Never really thought about a Wild West with Orcs, Ogres, Dwarves etc until now, Dave. Excellent work and wonderful paint-jobs. The greenskins are my personal fave, but they're all good imho. I guess with the clean-shaven(ish) minis you can always green-stuff them a fantastic moustache or full beard - even I'd be reasonably confident to pull that off with my sub-par sculpting skills...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon, it was a great idea when Minaturemen told me the idea, as had not seen anything similar at the time, seen a few WW2 but none for the wild west. Indeed with less facial hair you can add to your own taste, it's certainly a lot easier to add then take away.
      You can see their available models here https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/miniaturemenandcomponents/FANTASY-WILD-WEST-ORCS-DWARF/_i.html?_storecat=25193964017

      Delete
    2. Super stuff. Thanks for the link Dave :-)

      Delete
  4. Interesting alternative wild west tyres, I really like the Mexican orc!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain, he does have some character to him

      Delete
  5. Fab work love the orcs and bartender!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon, I don't normally enjoy doing orcs (don't like painting green) but have found a mix I like, do think the bartender is cool, and he was the first dwarf that was sculpted in the range

      Delete
  6. Another great little batch of figures there Dave! all are nice, but I love that "Saloon Gal"!

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roger, I was worried about the block under her foot, but being a dwarf she couldn't reach the chair ! LOL

      Delete
  7. A fun bunch of figures, especially the dwarves (all seven!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe, glad you enjoyed the reference ! LOL although they would probably need different names

      Delete