Sunday 12 November 2023

I'm Back

Firstly a huge thank you to those who sent me an email, checking I was enjoying myself, and not suffering in silence, it really meant a lot to me. So where have I been hiding myself, I've been basking in the Florida Sun, which greatly helped my low vitamin D levels, and also cleared my allergy ( unfortunately that returned as soon as I got back to a very wet UK ! LOL) So what have I been doing while away, mostly sat in my wheelchair, watching my children enjoy themselves in Disney World. Unfortunately my wheelchair got a flat tyre 4 days into the holiday, so we had to hire one for the rest of the vacation, my wheelchair also then got severally broken on the flight home, and we now have to get it assessed on whether it can be fixed, or needs replacing ( luckily the airline is footing that bill ! ) I wish I could say that was the only problems I had with the wheelchair, but I actually got hit by an electric scooter and crushed up against the wall, as when the lady hit me she panicked, and hit accelerate instead of stop ! with all the other incidents we witnessed with scooters while there, I really think people need a licence to be able to use one ! Enough of the sob stories, lets get onto something more fun, while in Disney, I went to Galaxy's Edge, now for anyone who doesn't know, this is a new section that is set up to look like a giant scene from Star Wars, it is very thematic, and a great source of ideas for future scenery projects, my only complaint is that the whole area is based off my least favourite 3 Star Wars movies, but that's just me being fussy ! LOL see picture below for what it looks like ( not my picture, but one I found on the internet.

now visiting a place like this, you would expect I may have found some bits to add to my Star Wars project, and you'd be right ! LOL Originally my wife was going to get me the Sandcrawler that was only available at the park, turns out it was a limited run piece, and they had sold out ! So I found something else instead a toy of Slave 1, it's from the mini figs range, and looks a good size next to the model shown with it, it will need some work filing in holes, and making it less like a toy, but a lot of that will come from the painting.

Is that the only bit I got, no I also found a Mando's N-1 Starfighter, that with a little work should come up a treat as well, this was also from the mini figs range, and looks to be a good scale next to the miniature.

So did we spend our entire time in one place ? No as I always like to see some history whenever I'm on holiday, we visited the museum in Gainsville, which had an interesting exhibit on dinosaurs found in Antarctica, they also had a great display on the Native Americans that lived in the area, until the Europeans came over and wiped them out, so much culture has been lost throughout history, which is a huge loss for us as a species. another exhibit we saw there was a butterfly farm, my daughter could have stayed there all day, and I have to admit it was very relaxing watching these colourful and sometimes huge butterfly's fluttering around. Sadly I forgot to take pictures as I was so busy soaking up all the information I could, and hoping not to forget too much.
We also visited the Spanish Fort at St Augustine, as you'll see from the picture below, it is a strange shape on the corners, these were not on the original build, as it was just square to begin with.

The designer, died before completion, and never saw his vision come to fruition. An interesting fact is the fort was never taken in battle, but changed hands multiple times due to treaties. After the wars between the European countries ceased it was used as a prison right up to World War Two, firstly holding Native Americans, then later was used to hold prisoners from the American War of Independence, the American Civil War, and later deserters from WWI and WWII, you can see many etchings in the walls from all the different time periods, and they are trying to preserve these. One thing I found is that the original occupants must have been a lot smaller than myself, as getting into the observation post was a tight squeeze, and the vision slits were about my chest level. All in all if you get chance I would recommend a visit, and take the time to read all the historical facts.
I think I've waffled on for long enough, and I really need to compile the round up for Apocalypse Me, so until next time stay safe and have fun !
Cheers Dave

18 comments:

  1. Oh, good to know you enjoyed the holidays, but sorry to hear about those issues with the wheelchair! I hope everything's alright! Great pics and I'm glad to have you back! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suber, overall the positives out weighed the negatives, so was a great break, still a little sore from the incident with the scooter, but getting a little better each day thank you. Good to be back, and wanting to create new stuff, which has to be a good sign ! LOL

      Delete
  2. John@justneedsvarnish13 November 2023 at 14:34

    Sounds like quite an adventure you've had, Dave, but it sounds like you enjoyed it overall! :-) Well done getting those two ships, I can imagine they will look quite something when you get them done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John, the good times certainly outweighed the bad, and I'm still breathing, so all good ! LOL They may not have been the vehicle I went to get, but cover an aspect that would have been harder to build from scratch, as the sandcrawler is at least all flat surfaces ! LOL

      Delete
  3. Glad to have you back, Dave! And good to hear that you enjoyed your holiday, in spite of the incidents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you snapfit, glad to be back, and overall was a wonderful time away with the family, some of them actually seem quite amusing now I've vented about them ! LOL

      Delete
  4. Ye gawds, wheelchair issues sounded awful. Glad the airline will be footing the bill though, those things aren't cheap!

    I wonder how much of a difference there is between the DisneyWorld Galaxies Edge and the same SW theme'd area in DisneyLand here in California? Either way, I'm soon to take a trip myself down south so I'll see what it's all about and let you know my thoughts. (Though I've never been to a "Disney" anything - kind of intrigued.)

    Glad you're back safe and sound though mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dai, if you put all of it in a movie, people would go that's unbelievable ! LOL Yes the airline have been very accommodating so hopefully it can get sorted soon, and you're not wrong on the costs, we'd actually spent about £200 on it before going away upgrading all the wheels.
      Haven't been to the one in California so I couldn't make a comparison, as Disney World is my wife's favourite place to visit, we've been a few times now, and with the addition of Galaxy's Edge, it now has two zones which have Star Wars in it, the original area where Star Tours ride is, with a large AT-AT standing close by, this area is based more on the original trilogy, but has been reduced since the new section opened, and the new section which is all based on the last trilogy ( not my favourite trilogy as you know ! LOL) the one upside is there is the opportunity to pilot the Falcon ! LOL
      Thank you mate, all fired up to get back on with some models now.

      Delete
    2. Did you do the "Make yer own lightsaber" thing?

      My brother-in-law and i are thinking it might be fun.

      Delete
    3. Sadly not, just don't have the space for one ! LOL My daughter who went a couple of weeks earlier did, and said it was fun.

      Delete
  5. Sorry about all the wheelchair trouble, but looks like you had a good time regardless. San Augustine is a really cool city, loved the little pirate shop they had by the fort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SD, always need to make the best of a bad situation ! LOL We had planned to wander around the town, but due to other circumstances didn't in the end, sounds like we missed some great places to visit.

      Delete
  6. That sounds like some real airport hospitality there! I don't know if its any better in the UK, but the people who work those airline jobs in the US tend to not be the most careful or compassionate, unfortunately. The story of being hit is even worse though. I hope you didn't get hurt in that incident. If it makes you feel any better, one of the last times I flew to NYC to visit my brother, I got hit by someone with their bag just after security when you're putting on your shoes and grabbing all your stuff and they literally turned around laughed at what they did and walked off.

    I hope Disney World treated you well overall! Its a long story (one of several in this comment apparently) but my mom needed a wheelchair when I visited with my family as a child and the Disney employees do a fantastic job with making things accessible for everyone. I've always appreciated that even after many years have passed since that trip.

    I went to the Star Wars area in 2019 when there was only one or maybe two rides open and I really like how detailed and "realistic" the area is even if like you said, its based on movies I don't love. I only got to ride the Millennium Falcon ride and we had a middle aged woman as our pilot and she couldn't steer it to save her life haha. If you were prone to motion sickness, it would not have been a fun experience! Having said that, I think your family was awfully lucky because you could have gotten your own lightsaber and droid while there and really racked up a nice bill in the process! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeff, as we had a connecting flight, it's unknown if it happened at Florida, Philadelphia or London, so couldn't say where, luckily the airline didn't quibble at all when we got back, just getting quotes sorted at the moment. The pain is easing from the collision, so hopefully no lasting damage. Saw a lot of terrible manners from people, including a woman in an electric scooter run over a woman walking along and then get cross that the woman had been in the way, it's a sad state the world is in at the moment !
      The service by the cast members was brilliant, and when I returned their wheelchair on the day I got hit, they were more concerned about me than the damage on their chair, the only negative I have on the parks is the ramps and slopes everywhere that do not make it easy on wheelchair users, or the people pushing them, I think the bosses should be made to try and make their way around the parks in a wheelchair under their own power and see how well they get on ! LOL
      The Falcon was fun, and can understand the difficulty on the ride depending who is piloting and the other roles ! LOL Rise of the resistance is a massive ride, covering multiple different levels, and areas and modes of transport, so is well worth a go. As you say the setup is very immersive, which adds to the enjoyment of the area. I was lucky to avoid those two credit sucking parts ! LOL

      Delete
  7. That is good to hear on the airline covering the wheelchair. As to the behavior, I can believe it. I remember my wife and I got to our hotel at Disney World and some woman who was incredibly sunburnt was making a scene in the lobby and chewing out the poor staff member while we waited to check in. It was an interesting start to the trip...

    I hadn't thought about that with the ramps and slopes. I can certainly see where that would be hard. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the Star Wars rides too. I hope you got to have some Blue Milk from Aunt Beru while you were there. My wife, who does not care about Star Wars at all, even liked that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The behaviour, sadly is unsurprising as I see too much entitlement by people in this area, and heard many horror stories from other people in the smoking areas, especially how others treated their children with autism !
      A lot of the rides have wheelchair access points to avoid a lot of the ramps, but not all of them, especially the newer ones, so it's something that doesn't seem to be considered. Did enjoy the area, and rides, and got a lot of reference pictures, for later projects ! LOL I was the only one not to try blue milk, as was having a bad day, and couldn't try it, the rest of them liked it, and they to aren't huge Star Wars fans either! LOL

      Delete
  8. Well, I know you've been back for awhile because you've been leaving comments on my blog! I'm still trying to get caught up on blogging, it's a never ending battle. Sorry to hear about the people and the headaches, but you've inspired me to maybe give Disney World (and some of the other items) a try. I can only imagine how cool it would be to see the Millennium Falcon in person. Really nice find on those toys too, and I can't wait to see you fix them up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brian, it took me over two days to catch up after the time away on the blogs, so know exactly what you mean ! LOL Even with the problems, had a great time, flying the falcon is even better than actually standing next to it ! LOL I'm sure it wont be long before they end up under my brush ! LOL

      Delete