Thursday 10 September 2020

OFF TO A FOAMY START

 Have made some progress on the start of Ben's house. Found I didn't have any wood the right thickness to make the base, but had a piece of 1.5 mm plasticard that was almost perfectly sized for the base so used that instead. Before putting the outside walls on, I set about making the raised floors needed, and steps, pillars ans set tables. Once these were all dry, i then stuck on the outer walls, you will notice that I've stuck on a thin blue layer to the walls, this is to sand in the bevels on the outer walls as the blue foam is quicker to sand than the dark grey. There is some filler work to do in some places before adding the texture to all the internals and exterior walls. I have increased the space to allow for models and there bases to be able to move around properly.

I've purposely left the front wall off to aid in play ability and will connect it to the roof to remove as a single piece. I have started the front wall by first making the door in plasticard, and a sleeve for it also in plasticard so the door will slide open. Once this was dry I stuck it into a cutout in the wall, and then thinned down the cutout, and stuck that on top to bring the wall back to the right thickness.


So this is as far as I've got so far, next is a lot of sanding then textures, then the huge task of all the details, which  is probably the most interesting part. I have found an actual photo of the interior which will hopefully help with some of this. If you have any questions about any part of this build, please feel free to ask.

That's all for this post, so until next time stay safe and have fun !

Cheers Dave 

15 comments:

  1. That's a damn good start to this build, but its' difficult to guess the dimensions - figure would help ! (So what is the footprint of the build ?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe, should have really included a model for reference, will make sure I do on any future photo's for you. The foot print is 185 mm x 285 mm

      Delete
  2. Good start,it's going to be a ton of work! Good luck with it!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain, prepared for the work, have started some of the incidentals that I will need to fully furnish the building, just making the most of drying times on other bits

      Delete
  3. Good looking start Dave & good call on leaving one of the walls removable, but have to say I was surprised that you didn't give the dimensions in imperial measurements but then given that its Ben's house maybe not so surprising :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Frank, thought it would help for cinematic shots inside the house, rather than a birds eye view. I so want a tape measure now that plays the Imperial March when I use it ! ROFL

      Delete
  4. Liking what I see thus far Dave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dai, thought it would be good to show all the different steps in case anyone else is making some scratchbuilt buildings

      Delete
  5. Off to a good start there, looking forward to se this finished (well and all the WIP's too).

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roger, thought it would be good to show some WIP's foe a change so people can see the thought process, and how to's for their own projects, as the ones you showed were very informative

      Delete
    2. People do love a WIP, though they can be a bit of a pain to keep photographing especially when you are "in the zone" and want to get on with something! ;)

      Cheers Roger.

      Delete
    3. Totally agree mate, a lot of times I think I could do an SBS on this to show, and find I've got four steps done before remembering to take a photo ! Guess I'm just getting old or forgetful or both, what was I saying ! LOL

      Delete
  6. I'm interested to see what you do with the texture, I think its a difficult balance between, relativly smooth reality in the scale and highlighting the fact that it is textured in the scale if that makes sense.

    Good idea with the wall and roof, that's one to remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John, for ease of painting there will be a texture, but will try to make it not too pronounced, just enough to help the paint to show the different levels.
      Glad I could help with the roof and wall idea, the trickiest part is deciding which wall to leave separate.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete