Monday 21 September 2020

NIKTO OR NOT

 Adding to my characters for Jabba's Palace I needed three more Nikto's, as I'd already converted one of the WOTC figures sometime back.

Before we moved house last year I had picked up two more of WOTC Nikto figures, but wasn't really happy with the sculpts, and so they sat on my desk staring at me, until this recent Star Wars kick.

As you can see from the above sculpt it was seriously lacking in facial detail plus the outfit was all wrong.


After a bit of green he looked like this.


Finally we have the finished Vedain, if your not sure who he was it was the Nikto fighting Lando on the skiff.

The next model below also suffered with a lack of facial detail and the wrong outfit.

Below is the finished version of Lathe who was the Nikto on the second skiff, and you barely saw him. Yes I forgot to take a green stuff shot of this one !



 This last model actually started off as a spare Weequay I'd got.


Below is the finished version of Vizam, who was the Nikto firing the heavy cannon at the heroes on the skiff.



I've also got the basic colours on Ben's house done.

I've made the exterior slightly darker than the interior, as it appeared in the film. At this point I could call it finished, as it would be perfectly adequate as a scenery piece, but I'm going to start super detailing it, I've already started on the stuffed Armadillo.

That's all for this post so until next time stay safe and have fun !

Cheers Dave 

15 comments:

  1. Nice subtle colour on the building, if you have time could you give a bit more detail of colours and techniques used.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John, no problem mate, These were all GW paints, for the Exterior the base colour was Steel legion Drab, once dry a wetbrush of Zandri dust (wetbrushing is where you wipe the excess paint on the edge of the pot before dragging across the surface) then a heavy drybrush of Ushabti Bone, then a light drybrush of Vallejo Pale Sand.
      For the interior I started with a base layer of Zamesi Desert, then a wetbrush of Ushabti Bone, heavy drybrush of Vallejo pale sand, with a light drybrush of White scar. Hope this helps, as always any questions I'm happy to help

      Delete
  2. Excellent work on all these, Dave, the additional sculpting really makes them spot-on for the movie costumes. Ben's house is looking good, but what stuffed armadillo are you talking about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt, when it comes to the Star Wars project I do like to have the relevant looking model, similar to some people with historical.
      On the built in table to the left of the bed is a selection of old Tatooine effects one of then is a stuffed armadillo, don't worry when I post up the detail shots I will show reference pictures as well so you can see for yourself

      Delete
  3. Your certainly on a roll Dave, the models turned out very well & the house real is starting to look the part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Frank, I was doing well, then my body decided to call stop yesterday ! never mind hopefully back up to high speed soon

      Delete
  4. tricky facial details to get a good likeness, but I think you've cracked it.
    Ben's pad has gone through a truly staggering transformation too, great colour scheme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe, aliens are certainly easier than humans to get a good likeness.
      Glad you like the colours, the detail may kill me yet ! LOL

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another trio of lovely conversions!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain, most of the other models required for Jabba's palace and the cantina will probably have to be scratchbuilt as I haven't been able to find any suitable models or even starting points

      Delete
  7. Always Nikto, all the time! REALLY love this trio, some of your best work imo. Lovely seeing some of the Hutt slave races being included in your work.

    Ben's house gets better and better each post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dai, indeed all the time ! LOL eventually I want to have all the denizens of Jabba's palace and the cantina, so no small task !
      Glad your enjoying the progress, makes all the hair pulling worth while ! LOL

      Delete
  8. Gosh the original faces were rather poor weren't they, yours are a great improvement! and that's not to mention the clothing, I wouldn't have know what characters they were supposed to be if you hadn't said.

    Bens house is coming on a treat too, as you say it would work perfectly well as is, but we all know you wouldn't leave it at that!

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roger, WOTC Nikto's really lacked detail and fingers for some strange reason ! LOL The clothing is a easier fix as you well know with all the He-Man models you've done.
      You know me too well, have spent all my available time this week working on the internal details of which there is so many, and some real fiddly ones too !

      Delete