Saturday 7 September 2019

WILL SOMEBODY GET THIS WALKING CARPET OUT OF MY WAY !

Painting these larger scale models has shown me that you need to change your style to suit the scale.
Prime example of this was Chewbacca, here are the finished shots of him first

These next three shots are of the way I started which was the way I'd done my 28 mm version but as you can see in the larger scale didn't work at all

Next up is Han Solo, the outfit is from episode 4 A New Hope, Han was a smuggler until the hero inside joined the Rebellion

Here you can see the start of the base colouring

Here he is finished, sorry forgot to take more WIP shots
Last today is Luke Skywalker, the outfit he's in is from episode 6 Return of the Jedi. A farmer from Tatooine who stumbled into the rebellion and became a Jedi Knight.

Didn't really get any WIP shots of this one as it was a very simple colour scheme.
That's it for this post as I need to look at a board for the pieces, as the one that came with the set is too bland, thank's to Frank for getting me to think about this earlier rather than later.
Until next time have fun !
Cheers Dave

10 comments:

  1. Exceptional paint jobs on all three, Dave. I particularly like how you painted their faces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bryan, with the larger scale you have more to work with, but they also highlight problems more ! LOL

      Delete
  2. Chewbacca has turned out very nicely indeed. Can you explain what you mean by changing your style, the two attempts seen to use very different colour combinations rather than painting style. Im not quite sure what you mean.
    Cherrs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John, with the 28 mm version of Chewie I used washes to get the tonal difference with his fur, which was the stage I got to, when I realised it wasn't working in this larger scale, so I changed the base colours with paint, painted all the fur highlights rather than drybrushing, then a very light drybrush of bone colour, to add the light fur he has if you look at reference pictures.

      Delete
  3. Excellent bit of work Dave, interesting to see your reply above to John about the washes as that the way I would have gone about doing the walking carpet as well, what scale are these models set at ? I'm thing around 54mm.

    No need to thank me Dave seen the whole thing finished on a lovely board will be thanks enough :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Frank, yes washes in 28 mm can be great in the larger scale they just look odd. The human models are 80 mm tall to the top of the head.
      Had a bit of a scout round on Google at Star Wars themed boards and was very unimpressed so thinking with going with your idea of the Death Star, and the squares being two different styles of floor panel, which I will make 1 of each then cast the required amount needed

      Delete
  4. 80mm wow that impressive, at that size I'd guess your looking at each square been somewhere from 50mm-60mm which at 8x8 will be a good size board, glad to hear your thinking of running with the Deathstar idea as if you can pull it off will look super cool :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The current squares on the board it comes with are 45 mm square, but the joy of making your own board is you can make them any size you want.
      What would be very cool is having some ships flying around the Death Star as well, the X wing scale may be too large so will probably have to look at the Armada scale if I go down that route, but will have to see, I could do a mix giving a sense of perspective but will have to see once the Death star is built

      Delete
    2. On I love your way of thinking Dave, Red leader commence your attack run :)

      Delete
    3. Thank you Frank although I have a dilemma now, I’d like to use all the fighters you see in Return of the Jedi but use the completed Death Star, as it’s just for me why not ! lol

      Delete