Monday 14 November 2022

ALMOST THERE

 For my personal challenge I've finished two more pieces for my Dark Eldar, the first is a Venom flyer for my Kabal force, this isn't a standard GW model but a conversion of a Vyper from the Eldar army. This isn't the first one I've converted but the original one I gave to a staff member to help them with their Harlequin army, before GW made an official model. The first one I did used the running boards from a raider, where as this one looks closer to the GW version (personally I don't think it has enough space for 5 models to be carried on it). I wanted it to have a similar style to the old GW Raider so added the plating to the front, I've also added a pole from the new Raider kit, to mark it as having the leader onboard. In the last picture I've put it next to the GW version for comparison.


I've also finished the second squad of Reaver Jet bikes, and the design was influenced by the iconic X-Wing, the first picture is the original 3 from my tournament army.


This next one was the first I built to add to the unit, hence the similar base style to the first 3.


The next pictures include the Arena Champion, which has more ornate wings, and the rest of the unit, with my newer style bases.


This means I have one vehicle left to do for my Kabal force, and my new unit of Mandrakes, for the Wych Cult, I need to buy and paint one raider, and then make and paint the beastmasters, I also need to finish the 4 blood brides to go on the Venom pictured above in the bone colour, so getting close now. I will probably leave the beasts until May, to do as part of Monster Mayhem, but see how I can do on the rest before the end of the year. That's all for this post, so until next time stay safe and have fun !

Cheers Dave

14 comments:

  1. Super stuff, Dave. I much prefer the bases with ruins/rocks as the stand for flying units as opposed to the thin stems (or GW's awful curved thingy-ma-gigs), as I think they not only provide better support but look better too. There's some terrific looking flyers on show too, with your converted Venom flyer being the highlight of the bunch, imho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon, after having multiple clear plastic bases snapping on me at tournaments, I moved over to metal bars as they were a lot stronger, but weren't great looking, the rubble did both for me, so at some point I may go back and change the original bases over, If I can find enough pieces to base them on ! LOL I do like the individual feel of the Venom, and how it ties in with the old style Raiders.

      Delete
  2. Your entire Dark Eldar army is enormously personal, and I find it encouraging and inspiring. Lovely additions again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suber, even before I started sculpting for a living I liked doing conversions on my armies to make them individual, and now it just seems the norm for me ! LOL

      Delete
  3. Wow , you have been busy. I do love seeing your superb conversions and trying to " see the join" so to speak (never have .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe, it has worked against me on army judging before, getting marked zero on conversions ! LOL

      Delete
  4. John@justneedsvarnish15 November 2022 at 10:19

    These are all really nice, Dave! :-) That colour scheme does work well on vehicles/fliers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John, it's always tricky to come up with a colour scheme that works on both troops and vehicles, so I was lucky with this one ! LOL

      Delete
  5. Your flyer looks better for sure than that official one! Very nicely done Dave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dai, I don't dislike the GW one, just wanted one that ties in with the old raiders more ! LOL

      Delete
  6. Its great to see more Dark Eldar, Dave! These really turned out well and your army is rounding into shape now from the looks of it. I'll be curious to see what you work on next. Maybe some more Star Wars? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeff, as the vehicles sit on shelves at the back of my desk, I now have a riot of colour to look at, instead of a sea of grey ! LOL Once I've finished these armies, it will definitely be a return to Star Wars, and I have several squads sat on my desk ready for work to commence.

      Delete
  7. Congrats on nearing the finish line and it looks like you will be getting there fast with those sleek ships! I definitely like your Venom flier better than the GW one! The wings on the Arena Champion are pretty crazy, but also cool in their own right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brian, is a very good feeling to be able to see the finish line. I do like the sleekness of these, even if they have extreme blade wings ! LOL

      Delete