Friday 24 April 2020

TOTALLY ORGANIC

In one of my recent posts, Frank commented that I had a lot of flying vehicles in several armies, which reminded me I actually had a completely organic army with no vehicles of any kind, my Kroot force.
This army came about as my regular tournament buddy Carl, thought it would be a cool idea if we entered the doubles tournament, as we always went to the tournaments together, aimed for best painted army and had both made finalist more than once, I agreed.
Carl really wanted to do Tau, so I said no problem I'll do Kroot as the Chapter Approved list had come out and had lots of scope for conversions, as Karl had chose the army I got to paint one of mine first, and he would make a colour scheme that worked well with mine.
I started with the Master shaper and then worked from there making all the conversions for the different units.
A couple of months into the project Carl found out that Chapter Approved lists were not allowed at the doubles tournament, and the project stalled, and the figures I'd made got put into a case and forgotten about, until Frank's comment.
So here is what I've finished to date :

Master Shaper and his two hounds, the shaper had a sword swap and the rest is the standard limited edition Games Day model, his two hounds started out as Dark Eldar Warp Beasts, which I then converted to make like the standard Kroot hound, but more of a Bull Mastiff version, rather than the standard Greyhound ones.

Next is a unit of Kroot hounds, there was only 4 versions of this model, so I converted the rest by changing the pose or adding different equipment to their harnesses, I don't have a pack master yet, but have a few ideas to make one.

Next is the two Krootox, these are both standard models, I need a minimum of 1 more possibly 3, so will have to make them to get a different look.

Next is a standard Kroot unit, but I wanted them to look more action posed, and set for close combat, there is only one standard model in this group, which is the metal Shaper model on the left.

Now we get to me in overdrive with conversions, first is the Headhunter Kindred, these are supposed to be able to spit venom, so I added a frill like a Dilophosaurous, to do this I had to lengthen the neck on each model to allow room for the frill, as they were called Headhunters, I gave each a head trophy.

Next is the Vulture Kindred, who have the ability to make short flights, GW did this with Gargoyle wings, but I wanted feathers as they were descended from birds. For the basing I wanted to get some height as if they were perched ready to swoop in for an attack.

Next up is the Hunter Kindred, these are the sharpshooters of the army with their extended range from the Kroot long rifle, All the rifle's had a piece of plastic rod added to increase the length and a sight to the top.

Next we have a Great Knarloc which was made by Forgeworld, I had this as a gift from my inlaws which was never part of the tournament list, but something I wanted to add to make it into a full army. I recently went onto their site to price up the other Great Knarloc's to add to the force, to find they've stopped selling them, guess I'm going to have to make some now !

Forgeworld also used to do Knarloc riders which were a smaller version of the Great Knarloc, they've stopped doing these as well, so here I present my solution to the problem, a great crested knarloc, it started out as a great eagle but a custom sculpted head and then fitted a Kroot rider

Last thing today is the start of my Shaper Krootox, I used a couple of bits I had spare to start it, and the rest will all be Greenstuff to finish.
I've tried to put a bit more background into today's post as I know a lot of the followers and commentators don't know a lot about GW, hope it's helped.
I have one more standard unit to show but haven't finished it yet, so you'll have to wait to see them, so until next time stay safe, have fun and if possible make someone else smile !
Cheers Dave

24 comments:

  1. Wow Dave! These just kept getting more impressive the further into the picture scroll. Really top stuff.
    Ha, just realised I've scrolled through the pictures three times now. Top to bottom. Bottom to top. Write the above line. Look at pictures bottom to top. Realise what I've done. Reckon that's a good enough compliment to mention.
    They're good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roy, glad you liked them, and scrolling through them 3 times is high praise indeed. it was a very fluid army to build and the conversions seemed to take on a life of their own

      Delete
  2. Me & my big mouth Dave ;)but glad of it in this case as we got to see all of these wonderful models :)
    Not been permitted to use the list at the tournament was a bummer so much for the rule of cool then ;(
    But they are cool & wonderfully crafted, well done mate & also know you did make me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Frank, and it was a great thing in my opinion, that I finally did something with these as well. Would like to fflesh out this list into a full army, once I can get to a shop and get some more plastic Kroot, to start hacking up, firstly I'll make each squad full size, then look at some of the other units available. Thems the breaks at tournaments, but I've got a cool force none the less.
      Glad I could make someone smile, it means a lot in these times

      Delete
  3. We'll that army list is a blast from the past. Very impressive conversions abd painting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil, it certainly is an old list, but I want to keep it alive. I think it’s easy to get swept along with what the companies want you to play, so Kroot will live on in my games! lol

      Delete
  4. Wow they are some impressive models mate! I remember the Kroot even painted a few up, and converted a few years ago, but I never realised they did all those different creatures and troop types, I love the blue colouring you've used very different but it works a treat!

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roger, they are a versatile model in my opinion, and being plastic can easily be manipulated. The army list was printed in White Dwarf and later was available on the Games Workshop website as a download. I actually found my printout this morning so can start to work out a full list which will mean a lot more models to make, There is one in the list that wouldn't need any conversion which I may leave out, and have an idea for something completely different that wasn't in the list but something Mark Bedford and I discussed many years ago.
      The colour choice was done to emulate birds bright plumage and as their aliens who can say I'm wrong ! LOL

      Delete
    2. Oh just realised if you are thinking of adding to this army, this might be right up your street!

      http://angrypiper.com/?p=3685&unapproved=5466&moderation-hash=75bda226697a8044c9671ff06139150b#comment-5466

      Cheers Roger.

      Delete
    3. oops try this one.... http://angrypiper.com/?p=3685

      Sorry

      Delete
    4. Thanks Roger have sent a comment, watch out a Chaos Kroot's about ! LOL

      Delete
  5. I've tried to put a bit more background into today's post as I know a lot of the followers and commentators don't know a lot about GW, hope it's helped.

    That might be me then. ;) the mythos just washes over my head but I do appreciate the painting style. Looks great Dave, you would have won my vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John, the vote means a lot to me, As for the ethos washing over you, I wouldn't worry in the 5 years I worked there that would cover at least 50% of the customer base, as they never read the background. When I got a new rulebook or army book, I'd spend 10 minutes looking at the pretty pictures, then read all the background, then the rules, as the background would give me a sense of a feel for the rules more than just reading the rules

      Delete
    2. Sounds like you were are real power gamer Dave ;) lol

      Delete
    3. LOL my lists were never really strong lists as I would make them atmospheric to the army, so Emperor's children would would be in squads of 6, which puts you at a disadvantage at the start being outnumbered by most units, but totally fits with the ethos

      Delete
  6. Lovely looking Kroot army! They came out when I was just losing interest in 40k but at least I know what they are! Splendid conversions and great painting!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain, I know what you mean as I haven’t done anything with my 40 K for years and moved on to other games, planning to use these guys with the gaming system I’m developing to play test the rules while I design the figures I want to make to go with the rules.
      Got something new for these guys in the works so watch this space

      Delete
  7. Weird, wonderful and very consistent in their look. En masse this would be a bery impressive and varied force - great eye candy and no surprise that you have success in the painting competition lemen of games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe, have been working out what I want and need to add to make this a full army, should have a few surprises yet ! lol
      With the painting I’m always a bridesmaid never the bride as I’ve made finalist but never placed, and as I no longer enter competition’s I never will, but I’m okay with that

      Delete
  8. Really liking all these conversions and sculptings to get unique minis in this lot. The Kroot range is really limited, which is sad cos they are very characterful in the fluff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dai, agreed the range is limited, especially as Forgeworlds stopping of their parts, makes it a real converters paradise ! lol

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You totally went all out on these and wow, these are amazing conversions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wouter, was a army that screamed out for conversions, which was probably why I was drawn to it.

      Delete