Monday 20 April 2020

CHAIN OF COMMAND

Firstly I must apologise for my lack of commenting last week, my illness decided to give me a rough week and I didn't make it to the computer at all, thankfully it has subsided to manageable again and I spent this morning playing catch up, hopefully I didn't miss anyone's blog.
So when I showed my Landspeeder conversions recently I showed the command group for it, inbetween all the other bits I've been showing I've been working on I've been finishing off all the other command groups I have for my marine army.

First is Lord Aquillis and pet cyber hawk Talon, who is equipped with a missile launcher strapped to his back. Talon is an original conversion I made for the army but has had a recent repaint, to bring him up to date, Aquillis started out as a basic plastic marine, which I added all his regalia to make him fitting of a Chapter Master.
Also in the picture is my Master Chaplin Falcos Longbeak, this model also started off as basic plastic parts, but I used some ornate Chaos pieces to add the detail befitting his rank, and sculpted the rest.

Next is the Honour guard which either of the above two can take as a retinue, the models started as Blood Angel honour guard, which I changed the symbols and gave them all custom heads to fit with my chapter.

Next is the first company Captain, Chaplain, and two of the command group, all four models are old metal miniatures, which have had symbols changed. The other three command group w ill have to come at a later date, when the shops open again, as I want to use some Grey Knight models, as the fist company are called the wing knights.

Next is the third company Captain, Chaplain, and command squad these are all standard models with some simple part swaps and added icons.

Next is the fifth company Captain, Chaplain and command group, again standard models, with simple symbol additions and equipment swaps.

Last is the sixth company the scouts also known as fledglings, there is a Captain, Chaplain who are in power armour, and the command group is in scout armour, to represent veteran scouts, I used mostly the Space Wolf scout models for this unit, with some small conversions in here.

I haven't bothered reshowing the fourth company as you've already seen them, and the eagle eyed of you will have noticed the second company is missing, that's due to I haven't decided how to do them yet as they are all going to be mounted on jetbikes.
That's all for this post so until next time stay safe and have fun !
Cheers Dave

18 comments:

  1. No need to apologise for being ill Dave, at least I wouldn't say so.

    The photos certainly show how much work you've put in to make this a unique force. Must have took some time to choose what models and bits to use to bring your ideas to life. The models and paint jobs look decent.
    ...Err, just realised that I best translate from Yorkshire - Aye, they're looking good. Not bad at all. Lest y'think decent is meaning some't less than what w' meant. Nowt wrong w'these.

    Isn't English, as a language, brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roy, was more of an explanation for why I had been quiet on peoples blogs, as didn't want anybody thinking I wasn't interested in what they had posted.
      I've been working on this army for 23 years now, and change how I want it to look multiple times, but set on the look now, I still have models from the original Rogue Trader era that will still make it into the finished army as well as later plastics, so each unit will have a very individual feel to them.
      I had a conversation about this to a family in the US the last time I was over there, as the daughter was under the impression we all talked like Hugh Grant, and I was trying to explain that like in America, different areas had different dialects and accents ! LOL

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear you were ill Dave & glad your back up on your feet or if at the computer more likely your seat :)

    Your marine force is coming along nicely, I do of coarse know a lot of the metal models that you've used so know just how much work you've put into them.
    Ps I think your first company Chaplin has a twin brother in my Red Scorpions force :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Frank, it was my own stupid fault to be honest as I couldn't see my wife struggle in the back garden so went and helped, then paid a heavy price for it ! LOL
      Has taken a long time to get the right look and model to fill each role, but great to see it finally getting somewhere.
      I thought the Imperium had banned cloning after the problem with the primarchs ! ROFL

      Delete
  3. Your attention to detail is amazing and to have a little inisght into the way you're thinking about your organising this chapter very informing. I pleased thst you use and reuse some older miniatures, procing they never really go out of date.
    All in all a lovely bit of eye candy !

    I can empathise with being ill, my wife and I have been swapping colds for the last month of internment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe, it took a while to get a definite idea on what I wanted, but eventually settled on the look and organisation I wanted. Don't believe in getting rid of old models just because GW releases a new one, and as I'll only be using it at home, they can't enforce their rules of only current models to be used ( wasn't a fan of this rule even when I worked for them !)
      Hope you both feel better soon, do you take vitamin D tablets ?

      Delete
  4. No need to apologise mate, I hardly have time to go through all the blogs I want to read myself. Hope you're feeling better now.
    That's a lot of conversion work you've done and they all look that much better because of it. Love all the details you added and how you made them your own unique chapter.
    Marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wouter, not trying to do too much as it will make it flare up, but not in my nature to sit back and let others do all the work, so I'm my own worst enemy ! LOL
      The conversions have been done over many years, but most of the painting was recent, this lockdown is certainly getting a lot of my backlog finished, which means the shelves have a lot less grey on them now ! LOL Do like having a individual feel and character to each model, rather than just being rank and file

      Delete
  5. Good to hear that you are feeling brighter Dave, didn't sound good at all! Stunning work here though, really impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael, really should avoid helping in the garden ! LOL
      Glad you like them, it's my oldest and longest running 40K army

      Delete
  6. Lovely work Dave, though I'm no GW aficionado so some of your conversions are wasted on me I'm afraid, I do know top notch work when I see it, I love the "Bird" based chapter, is that your own or is there an official one?

    Heath issues are a bugger, especially when all you can do is wait it out, so no need to apologise on that score mate.

    Just glad you are feeling better.

    Cheers Roger.

    Sorry did comment yesterday, but then the cat walked across the keyboard and pulled me out of the net!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roger, it’s my own chapter, but they have appeared in name in Epic Armageddon as my friend was writing the blurb and named them in it.
      It’s a pain, and not being the type of person to let others do all the work means I end up suffering, my own stupid fault really ! lol
      No problem at all and pets are great at that sort of thing, my dog currently likes sticking his nose into my painting !

      Delete
    2. Yep had one cat chewed all the flags off of an undead army years ago, another stepped into the lid of a pot of red paint and let cat foot prints across the carpet, and one of the dogs as a puppy chewed up a load of 28mm plastic Elven archers! You've got to love them though haven't you!

      Cheers Roger.

      Delete
    3. Got to love Em ! LOL My pup recently knocked my black paint of the table in the living room then used it as a chew toy ! What a mess

      Delete
  7. Hi Dave glad to hear your feeling better, being unwell is no fun at all. Having read the comments from folk who know it sounds like you've done a lot of conversion work on these. I'm afraid I was never into Games Workshop and don't suppose I ever will be but I can still appreciate some good painting when I see some.
    Take care.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John, I really need to find a better balance between what won't hurt me and not being able to watch others struggle, one day ! LOL
      No worries on not knowing anything about GW, and the sign of a true gentleman, being able to appreciate something, even if you know nothing about it

      Delete
  8. Glad your feeling a bit better, easy to overdo it! Lots of nice conversions and lovely painting! I knew GW banned figures that weren't their own, I didn't know they didn't allow their own old figures in store games, nice paints,lots of lovely kits/sculpts, overall I think you would have to say GW has been beneficial but I don't go into their stores much anymore, does this mean you have companies to go with all these command, you must have masses of them!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain, need to learn to be more balanced, but seem to be a slow learner ! lol
      GW is a great point to get people into wargaming having a large high street presence, but they have some strange ideas on pricing and policies.
      I have the start of most companies but still got lots more to get to finish this project, luckily in no rush as it could bankrupt me ! lol I have a large proportion of the speeders and scouts and just started the jet bikes for the 2 nd company, the largest thing I need to get is devastator squads, will have to stick them on my wish list

      Delete