Saturday 11 April 2020

RAIDER EVOLUTION

Needed a break from my current palettes of my Night Hawks and Emperor's Children, so have paid some attention to my Dark Eldar army, now before I show what I've been currently working on I need to show some of my other elements from the army to make the colour scheme make sense. There are 3 parts to my force, the Kabal, the Wych cult and the flesh court.
First here is a standard raider from my Kabal

Next is the lords raider which has wider running boards, and Incubi pilot and gunner

Here is a basic raider for the Wych cult, you will notice the colour scheme is a reverse of the Kabal, to make them separate but using the same palette to tie the two forces together.

Next is the lords raider for the cult, this is a WIP shot, you will notice the double fuselage and extra width running boards and extra front panels.

Now we move onto what I'm currently working on the flesh cult, I have three Haemonculous and wanted each raider to be unique to them the first one shown has double running boards, but I changed them round so the wider part is at the front, the front cowling was stuck togetherdifferently as well and mounted the dark lance on the tail fin as well.

Next one has the same style front but on a double fuselage and will have a bit more added to the centre.

Last one today shows the colour scheme that they will be having similar to the Kabal, but plating being red instead of bone.

Will show more on these later when they're finished, unfortunately the silver work will have to wait as I've run out of black wash.
MARBELOUS
Here is the SBS for doing Marble as promised for Dai
Step 1
Once you've got an even base colur apply a simple line of paint

Step 2
Using a clean dry drybrush spread the paint out so you end up with a faded look, you need to work quick as the paint needs to be wet

Step 3
Repeat  step 2 until you have the desired amount across the area, be careful to leave some areas with your base colour showing.

Step 4
Add some fracture lines with the colour you have applied to drybrush in the areas of pure base colour.

Step 5
Now add some fracture lines in the base colour through the drybrushed areas.

Step 6
Gloss varnish over the whole piece, you now have a marble look to your piece, would suggest practising this on a scrap flat area before trying trickier shapes. You can do this for any colour, so reverse the colours for white marble, or you could do alien marble with red or green, the choices are endless.
That's all for this post, so until next time stay safe and have fun !
Cheers Dave

16 comments:

  1. Cracking conversions and paint work Dave. Spent some time viewing each of the painted models and looking at the colours used and how they work together. Really cool how you're converting each of the vehicles to be unique and personalised. Definitely an AirCav force worthy of some Wagner playing in the background during play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roy, I wanted to have a unique colour scheme for each faction but that they all tied together if using the different factions at the same time, the basic raiders are all standard just with different crew, but any character model gets something a bit more unique. Funnily enough Ride of the Valkyries is my favourite piece of classical music ! LOL

      Delete
  2. Even as a non-fantasist I can appreciate the beauty of your flyer, your attention to detail is outsatanding, as are your colour choices and blending of them together.
    I appreciate your marbling demo too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe, we all have different tastes, but if you can appreciate what someone else does, even if it's not your thing, shows great character in my book.
      No problem on the demo, always happy to help where I can

      Delete
  3. Very imaginative bit of conversion work Dave, between this & your marine stuff you seem to have a thing for anti-grav vehicles :)
    Nice little demo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Frank, I do like a good flyer! lol I don’t have as many in my Emperors Children and no vehicle’s in my Kroot

      Delete
  4. Great to see you conversion work Dave and a handy 'how to' as well - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael, it’s good to show the build so people can see how to do their own

      Delete
  5. Splendid conversions on these flyers and lovely painting!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely bit of work on the conversions Dave, I always really liked the Dark Elf stuff, though not very practical it has a real Barsoom feel to it. I cringe to think how much all those skimmers must have cost though!

    Thanks for the marble "how too" shall have to keep that stored away in mind for future reference.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roger, they also reminded me of the skiffs in Return of the Jedi so we’re a win win for me.
      I got them when I worked for GW so didn’t pay full price for them which was lucky ! lol

      Delete
  7. Thank you for the tutorial!

    Love the converted raiders, a great model.
    Rest of the raiders are excellent too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem on the the tutorial Wouter, and thank you on the raiders

      Delete
  8. Nice subtle touches on the raiders Dave. The changes still keep the aesthetic yet make each unique.

    Really appreciate the tutorial! So simple yet provides a very believable result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dai, it was important that they still made you instantly think raider when you looked at them.
      No problem at all mate, always happy to help.

      Delete