Sunday, 27 September 2026

THERE ARE THOSE WHO BELIEVE THAT LIFE HERE BEGAN OUT THERE !

 This was the opening line of the original Battlestar Galactica, and a fitting way to open this post, as I start with the completed original Vyper, from the original series, a long time ago I showed the painting of half of this model as a quick guide, but never fully finished it as I lost parts of the landing gear hatches, well recently I found one of the two missing bits, and decided to make the last missing bit.


As you can see above there is one hatch made of greenstuff, I took a mould off the one I had, and swapped the side of the hinges with some plasticard. I also tied together all the painting and got this.


While on this role, I found the transfers for my MK II Vyper and finished off the weathering completing the last of my Vypers.


While in the mood to complete as many of these models as I could I've also painted up the new version of the Galactica itself, one bit I was never sure on was the weird ridges that cover 80 % of the model, I recently found out the designer based it off of a range of vases he liked, personally after painting them all, they are a pain ! LOL All the armour plating  needed a mottled look as well, which I achieved with three layers of paint and a glaze, happy with the end result.



In the series one of the pods is unused as it had been converted into a museum, now the kit comes with transfers for this, but ere a little too flimsy, so I added the transfers to some acetate, which I then glued into place.


Now I only have the original Galactica, and a Cylon fighter left to do to complete this set, but that may wait for another time, don't forget you still have three more days to finish any scenery projects you have going for the challenge, so until next time, stay safe, and have fun !

Cheers Dave

14 comments:

  1. Excellent work sir.
    But damn, I can't decide which Viper I like best; this one or the one you posted earlier.
    The Battlestar looks awesome, great painting, even if it was a pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you misterc, I have the same problem when it comes to the Vypers, as I like them all , but when it comes to Galactica itself, my favourite is the original, which means a lot more work to go yet ! LOL

      Delete
  2. You're just making me smile here in Court looking over all this coolness. Absolutely love everything in this post! So many cool details to drool over, especially on the Battlestar itself. That museum detail is such a cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dai, as long as your not laughing maniacally in court ! LOL Glad I could bring a smile with the details, can't take the credit for the museum window as it came with the transfer, I just made it stronger with the acetate ! LOL

      Delete
  3. Awesome work!
    Always love to see Vyper model!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michal, they are very iconic aren't they.

      Delete
  4. Some cracking painting there. I loved the TV show and reboot of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil, I enjoyed the show so much I have them on DVD so I can watch all the time ! LOL Glad you like the models, been a long time in getting round to them.

      Delete
  5. Great bunch of models with a lovely finish all round!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain, took far to many years, but glad to finally get them finished ! LOL

      Delete
  6. Very cool looking stuff! Love the Galactica, never realized how textured it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SD, once I started looking at reference, it kept putting me off with how much texture was needed ! LOL

      Delete
  7. Both ships came out really well and I can see exactly what you mean about them being time consuming to work on. They're much bigger than most miniatures we paint so there's a lot of ground to cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeff, yes they're the size of some of the bigger flyers in 40K so not something you'd be painting everyday, and need different techniques to cover the surfaces effectively, plus matching the reference ! LOL

      Delete