Monday, 27 July 2026

GOT LEGS !

 Over the weekend, I made some good progress on the Void Spider, and got the engine set up all built, and got all eight landing struts bent and fitted, they just need the details added and he feet, I've made one, which I need to make a mould of, to replicate 15 times ! LOL


As you can see above the front of the engine was made from a piece of foam insulation 20 mm thick, the engines were made from plastic tube, with details added in greenstuff. The details on the main body of the engines was made from plastic rod, and greenstuff. Here's a reminder of what I'm aiming for


Hopefully the feet and struts wont take too long, so I can get on with the painting, that's all for today, so until next time, stay safe, and have fun !

Cheers Dave

14 comments:

  1. Coming along very nicely Dave! Again, very impressed with the amount of detail you are putting into this build!

    I will say though, upon inspecting that screenshot from the film again, this vehicle is a really strange design. Do those long tube-legs retract while in flight? Do they just fold backward instead? And what about those large chunky "feet"? Where do they end up and how are they utilised when this thing is supposed to hover/skim about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dai, the level of detail is staggering on a simple vehicle, like the bracing rods supporting the engines, probably why I've been putting it off for so long ! LOL
      From the limited information I can find the struts and feet remain as shown, so it's aerodynamics would be shocking ! LOL From what I've found it was a Lunar lander that hey bolted on bits to make it look different, and the feet look like industrial wedges pushed in place ! LOL

      Delete
  2. Another piece of conversion art Dave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michal, at the moment it feels like a never ending cycle of detail ! LOL

      Delete
  3. Nice work, I remember talking to a prop man who was part of the dressing crew on star wars, they had a big pile of scrap aerospace stuff ( they called it gubbins) and they just stuck/ screwed whatever they fancied on, sometimes they got carried away!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain, I agree they got carried away on this one, with all the detail I've had to replicate ! LOL

      Delete
  4. Great build, of a really bizarre looking thing, must be great for nervous passengers as there don't appear to be any windows!!

    Cheers Roger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roger, the passenger sits next to the pilot so will have the same view as them ! LOL Also it only carries one passenger so will need to make a lot of journeys to make money ! LOL

      Delete
  5. John@justneedsvarnish28 July 2026 at 10:34

    Really good progress, Dave! :-) There certainly is a lot of detail on it for its size!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John, your not wrong it's got almost as many greeblie bits as the Turbo Tank ! LOL

      Delete
  6. Coming along nicely.
    Those legs do look (accurately) spindly. Best avoid any hard landings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you misterc, your not wrong on those legs, luckily these are brass rod so should be stable enough, as I dropped it and did no damage ! LOL

      Delete
  7. This one's really coming along now! It will be interesting to paint this one because it is such a cream/off-white color. It isn't always easy to get contrast in those shades but I'm confident you'll work something out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeff, still working on the legs, so many little coils to add, but the top colors I've already changed once, as I didn't like the results of the first tone ! LOL

      Delete