Thursday, 10 September 2026

IT'S TURBO TIME

 No I've not started a power rangers project, but have actually finished my Turbo Tank, that I started at the beginning of the scenery challenge, it certainly helped having my new work area to be able to get it finished. The three guns on the main cab are secured with magnets, the rear gun is on a large pin, all the wheels are glued in place, I could have made them rotate, but it seemed a lot of extra work for something that wouldn't make a massive difference to the model. As you may have seen with the work in progress pictures I've used plasticard 1 mm and 0.5 mm thickness for different plating, there is a lot of greenstuff parts, plus I've used some plastic rod on the original 3D filament print to get the final look I've achieved.


Below are some close ups of some of the areas.


Painting wise I used a mix of brush, sponge, paint, washes, and some drybrushing for the dust/dirt on the wheels and lower half of the vehicle. I also used a fineline pen to add some construction lines that I wasn't able to put in with the construction methods. I also used paint to add in some of the cabling lines I could see in the reference, here is a recap of what I was working from.


Very happy with what I ended up with, and with the weathering being a orange brown color it will work for both the basing on my clone wars era, and the basing on the new hope era models, so the I can use the vehicle for both. That's all for today, so until next time, stay safe, and have fun !

Cheers Dave

18 comments:

  1. Well, its a monster! Excellent work, very impressive!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain, it is a bit of a beast ! LOL

      Delete
  2. What an awesome, crazy piece to have on the table! And pretty great you can use it for multiple eras.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SD, why I went for this version was the multiple era usage, plus the basic model would adapt to it as well.

      Delete
  3. What a magnificent BEAST of a tank! Really am blown away Dave by all the very realistic weathering and attention to detail on this thing. Next up, a 28mm Victory Star Destroyer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dai, I might have gone a little overboard, but was only likely to do it once ! LOL To do one of those I would need to win the lottery, or get divorced, both are unlikely ! LOL

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Michal, one of the largest pieces so far ! LOL

      Delete
  5. Holy WOW! That's an incredible piece, Dave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Grimmleigh's Fiends, was a labour of love in the end ! LOL

      Delete
  6. John@justneedsvarnish11 September 2026 at 14:09

    Crikey, Dave, it's massive! :-) I knew it was big, but didn't appreciate how big until I saw the figure next to it! Awesome doesn't fully so ut justice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John, it's roughly 18 inches long, 8 inches high, and 6 inches wide, and felt like it weighed a ton by the end ! LOL

      Delete
  7. Oh man, a Power Rangers project would be a real left turn! I'm of the Power Rangers generation and honestly, it is basically a kaiju TV show. Getting back on the subject at hand, the tank looks sensational. You've made it look easy over the last couple of weeks as you finished it in no time! The weathering really adds a lot of life to this one and I think you gave it just about the right amount which is great since it can often be a fine line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeff, if I was to do a power rangers, I'd go for the original dino zords, or their ninja zords, anything past that I'd have less interest in, but my daughter would love any of them as she was a huge fan ! LOL
      I'm glad it looked easy, as there were times I wondered if I'd be able to pull it off ! LOL Painting wise it was a lot of experimentation to replicate the reference, and very glad I pulled it off.

      Delete
  8. Absolutely stunning. A monster of a truck.
    Give yourself multiple pats on the back for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you misterc, it really is a beast of a model.
      Can't rest on my laurels, as I'm already on to the next mad project ! LOL

      Delete
  9. Terrific work! Wow, the size of this monster is impressive! I find it jaw dropping once finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suber, it is big, no where near the size of your Gargant mind you ! LOL

      Delete